Menu

Conversation

I'm reading through Talk With Me by Kerry Mataya and was looking for any trainings she does.

https://www.unl.edu/asdnetwork/TASN%20Kansas...Webinar%20Presentation%20Using%20Practical%20Strategies%20to%20Obtain%20Critical%20Mass%20in%20Conversation%2C%20Problem%20Solving%20and%20Emotional%20Understanding%202020.pdf  Here's a pdf powerpoint that pulls together a whole bunch of pieces of things she has done.

The bring is pretty stellar btw. Ds so was not ready for it before, but I think we're ready to kick some conversation butt finally.

• Like 1

I have the book Talk With Me.  I have not implemented it directly but great food for thought!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure Popmom is local to the author.  

So — my son is on-topic, and he does have some good responses and questions.  He does have some good skills.

But I think he is somehow not exactly the intended audience based on the examples from the book.

Like — he has some skills but things are still not quite working out.

I think his interest in details and the details he is interested in are just — not ones that are a good fit right now.  

It’s hard to explain.

Well, on the bright side he does have some skills and it is a great book!  

It’s like — he’s not out in left field, but he’s also not interested in things that really fit in well.

Like — right now, he is into Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  He has seen two movie versions and he is also listening to the audiobook.  He is very interested in what things are different between the two movie versions and the book, and why.  It is interesting and everything, but how many people are so interested in the differences between the book and movie versions?

And he is like this with other things that have more than one version.  Like — The Witches.  Like — the two versions of Ducktales on Disney Plus.

He does talk about other things, but I think he has to think about what he will talk about and say, so spontaneous conversation topics can be hard for him to get his thoughts and language together.  It’s getting better but it is just — hard for him, even while he is pretty good at being on topic and being on the reciprocal side.

One of his previous therapists told me that two kinds of kids she saw included:  kids like my son, who had an easier time being on topic and reciprocal (in the scheme of things, not like these were not also issues), and then kids who could talk easily but struggled to be on topic and reciprocal.

So I think a lot of programs can be aimed a little more at kids who can discourse at length but are struggling with being on topic and being reciprocal.  Which — it’s still helpful but it’s just not quite like I feel I am the target audience.  

At the same time — maybe I need to look through the book again and would get different things out of it 🙂

And some things here are just “on pause” right now bc COVID, so I really don’t know what next year will bring!  

Oh, I have the critical mass book also.  It is something where I think it is a book that could be easily summed up — practice until something is really learned well.  Then you get critical mass and instead of the ball rolling up hill, the ball will be rolling downhill 🙂

These books are both from the AAPC website.  

https://www.aapcautismbooks.com

• Like 1

On “give me three” — yeah, I think I see that here with 2 responses being decent and then stalling out from there pretty often.

It does make me feel good about the amount of time we spend watching tv together while making some comments.  Bc we do watch a lot of tv together.

He also likes this genre of YouTube videos where people describe a strange or unusual thing that happened to them one time.  I think it is very educational/informational because so many things about them are totally new information and non-obvious, and I think he can get a lot out of them.  

A lot will be like “there was a creepy guy at the bus stop” and it is a chance to have it explained just what the storyteller noticed leading him/her to think more and more that something creepy was going on, from the very mildest and least obvious things up to the definitely creepy thing.  

• Like 1

My son does say “speaking of....”  It is very useful for him.  It really is more useful than I would have thought, I guess!  I always seem to not be able to identify what things would really go a long way, like “speaking of,” which is one where I just would not have seen it for myself.  But for whatever reason it seems to really be a good one.  

• Like 2

TASN is from Kansas, and they filmed a video at my son’s school one time, and I signed a release for him to be filmed.  So — apparently they filmed him walking down a hallway several times and then didn’t end up using it. 

Anyway — I am familiar with TASN and think they have some really high-quality materials!  And a lot available as power points and/or webinars.  

• Like 1

Anyway — I am not current right now, but I have gone through the past webinars that there is a link to for TASN and they have been great.  

I am sure the other ones are good, too.

Anyway — for TASN — a lot of them are like, they had someone present their webinar and then the last 30-60 minutes are questions and discussion from Kansas teachers who attended the webinar — so that is nice. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:30 PM, Lecka said:

So I think a lot of programs can be aimed a little more at kids who can discourse at length but are struggling with being on topic and being reciprocal.  

I think you're probably analyzing it correctly. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:32 PM, Lecka said:

practice until something is really learned well.  

That's how Aspy uses the term and probably what was originally meant, but Mataya is trying to do something different, where critical mass for a high cognitive person on the spectrum might be the coming together of these skills, rather than so much practice at an individual skill. Think about it, you can practice conversation all you want, but without the other pieces (interoception, etc.) where are you? You're still held back from actually getting to where you could be. It doesn't launch and come together. And conversely, ds is getting so many good pieces right now that it seems like the cusp of it coming together in a good way. So her revamping of the term fits with what I think we're on the edge of seeing with ds.

• Like 1