Menu

Spectrum Chemistry reviews? Should I get something else?

I am looking for reviews of Spectrum Chemistry by Dobbins. I was given a first ed. textbook, so I can use that, but I'd need to still purchase the lab kit plus lab workbook and teacher's edition. We are currently finishing up Rainbow science, his junior high curriculum, and I'm not sure I want to stick with this company. I'm thinking of switching my junior high science curric because of the negatives, but having spent so much money on the lab kit, I don't really want to switch. But I've got four more kids coming up...

The reading in Rainbow is not very much work. It seems that a lot of the instruction is done in the labs. But we find the labs frustrating. Even with the kit, it takes a while to locate the materials, and sometimes the instruction doesn't seem sufficient to really gain understanding. My firstborn is doing okay with it, but I'm not sure how my next kids will do. So if the chemistry curriculum is similar, I wondered if I should just invest in a different curriculum or purchase the rest of Spectrum and use that. 

I'm looking for young-earth creation options that are clear and engaging. Thank you!

I considered Rainbow and Spectrum at one point but never used them. My daughter is using Experience Biology this year and it’s going well. We had some kinks to work out in the beginning, but it’s been fine since then. It is a Christian program and they just released a high school chemistry course. There are video lessons with guided note taking, readings, labs with a video demo, and online quizzes and tests. I think I bought the lab supplies from a link they provided to Home Science Tools.  https://journeyhomeschoolacademy.com/experience-chemistry/ 

• Thanks 1

I've used Rainbow & my oldest kid used Spectrum Chem in an onlibe class (with different labs) and think you will find Spectrum to be similar to Rainbow. There is not much reading, problem sets are few, and much of the learning is in the labs.

I liked that the teacher that used Spectrum supplemented the problem sets & explained things much more thoroughly than the textbook. 

• Thanks 1