Menu

Any reason not to set up a yahoo acct for kids?

my girls are 8 1/2 and like to keep in touch with their friends from TN. They've been writing letters this last year, but are wanting to learn to type and I thought email might help them get in some extra practice, plus be a fun way for them to keep in touch with their friends and grandparents, cousins, etc. Any problem with yahoo for kids? Are there any steps I need to take to make sure they are safe with a yahoo account?

Thanks

my girls are 8 1/2 and like to keep in touch with their friends from TN. They've been writing letters this last year, but are wanting to learn to type and I thought email might help them get in some extra practice, plus be a fun way for them to keep in touch with their friends and grandparents, cousins, etc. Any problem with yahoo for kids? Are there any steps I need to take to make sure they are safe with a yahoo account?

Thanks

As long as you are right there when they log on so you can scan the e-mails, there should not be a problem.

Junk mail includes ALL kinds of things, not all appropriate for kids. I would tell them about the dangers of the internet and how it can be used safely. You may want to mention that they are not to click on an e-mail you have not seen. At this tender age, I would have those rules and gradually relax things a little as they grow older and become more online savvy.

Thanks

I'd get them gmail accounts and set them up so that every incoming email also goes to your email addy.

it's worked very well for us (my girls are 7 and 9)

K