Menu

Is there anything similar to Lightning Lit 5?

I'm thinking for next year and want to get some recommendations.

We're using level 4 as below.

Writing - We don't use the writing part at all ( instead we do IEW level A DVD set (older version))

Grammar - He isn't retaining much from it and there isn't much review .I strongly feel he needs a proper grammar book. 

Reading Comprehension - This seems to be the only part we're using along with book discussion.

My DS loves to read and enjoys most of the books he would be totally fine if we continue but i'm worried we will end up supplementing a lot.

I wonder if we are better off using a different curricula for each of those. If so what program would give similar reading comprehension/book discussion format?

Any thoughts??

Thank you all!!!

We are using Lightning Lit 4 this year. We don’t use the writing bits — he does W&R instead — just the reading and grammar. Something in me hates “wasting” the writing portion, but you’ve gotta do what works. What I love about LL is the book selections and the poetry study.

Sonlight recently released a Grade 5 Readers package you might consider, if you want stand-alone reading comprehension. I bought a couple of the most interesting titles, but it’s just too many books for my son to do in a year. He would never have time for non-school reading.

If you just want reading comprehension, we have been using the Elson readers with success. Each piece in the book has discussion questions and the pieces are grouped by theme.  I'm not sure how it compares to Lightning Lit, but you can see book 5 here. Skip to Turk, The Faithful Dog and the end of the piece has the author biography and discussion questions. The Crystal Glass and A Forward Look give an idea of how the student should approach the book.  There's also a teacher's guide with the same activities/questions and writing extension.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:40 PM, blendergal said:

What I love about LL is the book selections and the poetry study.

This is exactly what we love too!! If we stick with this curriculum then i have to ad something to matchup to it's grammar which seems advanced to me.

I was looking at MCT for grammar route but  town level doesn't seem to be in line with lightening lit grammar.

I'll check out Sonlight readers package and see. 

On 4/5/2021 at 4:40 PM, blendergal said:

Something in me hates “wasting” the writing portion, but you’ve gotta do what works.

I feel the same way.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, HomeAgain said:

I'm not sure how it compares to Lightning Lit, but you can see book 5 here.

This looks interesting i checked out the discussion area and we would love to have conversations like those.

Book list in lightning lit is awesome and I loved that my DS has a chance to read/reflect and discuss those. 

7 hours ago, Janeway said:

TGTB LA approached grammar from a different direction and it has been highly effective

We actually did TGTB level 3 start of last year when we started homeschool but i felt it was missing comprehension part. Once we moved to Lightning Lit my DS was super happy that he got to read and would not want to go back to TGTB.

41 minutes ago, Homeschooler_CH said:

This is exactly what we love too!! If we stick with this curriculum then i have to ad something to matchup to it's grammar which seems advanced to me.

I was looking at MCT for grammar route but  town level doesn't seem to be in line with lightening lit grammar.

I'll check out Sonlight readers package and see. 

I feel the same way.

This looks interesting i checked out the discussion area and we would love to have conversations like those.

Book list in lightning lit is awesome and I loved that my DS has a chance to read/reflect and discuss those. 

We actually did TGTB level 3 start of last year when we started homeschool but i felt it was missing comprehension part. Once we moved to Lightning Lit my DS was super happy that he got to read and would not want to go back to TGTB.

I think I will go look at Lightening Lit. Thanks!