Menu

Please help me figure out what to wear!

Help! I hate figuring out what to wear! And this time I need to help figure it out for the kids, too. We have dh pretty much figured out. Probably. We are leaving early Wednesday morning for oldest ds' graduation from Marine Corps boot camp in San Diego. The recruit parents website says "business casual" is appropriate attire, but the definitions vary and are a little vague.

Here are some things to consider:

• Temps in the 60s, which is warmer than here but a little cool for a dress and bare legs
  • We will be sitting on bleachers
  • We will likely have to do a fair amount of walking according to the website. I can barely stand in heels.
  • I don't want to be overdressed, but I don't want to embarrass ds (though he probably doesn't care much)
  • I don't want to spend a lot of money if I do have to buy something.

Looking through our closets, I see:

• There is one pair of slacks that either 16yodd or I can wear. They are dressier black slacks with a faint white pin stripe and are more stylish than they sound by that description since they used to belong to 23yo SIL.
  • I have some khaki capris.
  • Both dd's have dresses that would be suitable but may not be warm enough.
  • I have a knee-length black skirt that could work.
  • I have a dark pair of jeans and a nice blouse that might work. I don't know if I can wear the heeled boots I normally wear since I may be walking more.
  • Ds has plenty of nice shirts and either nice jeans or light khakis (dd says the khakis are too light and "dorky").

Please tell me what to wear! Photos from catalogs or websites would be especially helpful as I'm finding the descriptions on other websites a little vague.

TIA,

Jenni

Well, for "business casual" think of what one would wear to an office job - one step below suits.

The pinstripe pants would be fine with a blouse or even a nice sweater. You could wear your black skirt or pick up another pair of dress pants. Depending on the age of your ds I probably wouldn't be quite as fussy. If he was under ten I'd consider nice jeans and a button-up shirt. I would normally shy away from khaki's in the winter, but maybe with a dark blue shirt he'd be Ok.

Remember that the military is very conservative, so what they call business causual isn't what many others would call business casual. Given that, IMHO:

Capris are out. They are too "resort"-like, especially in a light color.

You MIGHT be ok with black jeans and nice shirt and jacket/cardigan that hid the pockets.

Dressy, black or dark slacks similar to your SIL's would be fine for women, especially if paired with a coordinated jacket or cardigan. I wouldn't want to wear light colored pants, unless they were washable, on outdoor bleachers.

Your black skirt with a nice shirt and some sort of jacket or sweater cardigan would also work. I'd wear dark hose or tights.

For your ds, "dorky" khakis with a shirt and tie would be fine. "Dorky" khakis are clasic business casual. A vest or sweater would add some warmth without adding too much cost. Jeans would be too casual.

For shoes, spring for comfortable, dark-colored flats. If you're wearing slacks, tie shoes would definately work. Some tie shoes will also work with a skirt.

I just checked with my dh who recently retired from the Dept of the Army (civilian). His opinion is that the men need ties AND NO JEANS!!!!!! A sports jacket or sweater would also be wise. A woman might be able to get away with fancy jeans in a color other than blue. He does suggest a pants suit instead of the pants and coordinated jacket/cardigan I suggested.

Having said all that, I would expect some to appear in jeans.

Congratulations to your son!

My best piece of advice is to plan for a lot of walking and being outside for several hours. The graduation ceremonies take place outside and often the marines want to take their family around the camp to show it off. I remember dh taking me everywhere we were allowed to go; he figures we walked around 2 miles. Dh suggests you dress in nice, casual clothing. I wore my favorite pair of jeans and a blouse to dh's graduation and didn't feel out of place. Of course, the only thing I cared about was looking pretty for my husband. ;)

HTH!

That term "business casual" causes an increasing amount of confusion, doesn't it? Back in the dark ages (;)), when "casual Fridays" started up it seemed so clear: We didn't have to wear business suits that day ~ but we did need to appear business-like. It was just a notch down from the suits. Imo that is still the commonly-accepted understanding of "business casual". (Eta: It does depend greatly on the company, of course. The dressiest George Siemon, the CEO of Organic Valley, is ever gonna get is jeans, a casual shirt, and a tweed sport coat. LOL) But generally, it's not jeans. It's not capris. It's not flip flops (ack!). It's casual pants, e.g. the all-too-popular "khakis", and an open-collared shirt for a guy, for example. Sport jacket is a nice extra. Sweater is fine, too. A guy does *not* need a tie in a business casual setting, even in the military, imo. Women should go with nice slacks/dress pants or skirt with an appropriate top.

Honestly, there are a myriad of options and I doubt you need to go out and buy new pieces. Remember that the "business casual" suggestion is as much for your benefit as for the military's. They know people will be wondering what to wear. They also prefer not to have people showing up in shorts and tank tops, though. The most important thing is that you not look out of place (and I know you won't ) and that you dress comfortably so you can truly enjoy the experience. But don't fret too much about it. For better or for worse (the latter, imo) just about anything goes these days. Gone are the days people in shorts with bared arms were denied entry to the Vatican, for example.

Edited by Colleen

Congratulations!

I've attended many a military affair. Dark pants, a nice blouse and comfy shoes will be fine. Business casual has so many options with only a few misses. Don't wear flip-flops, tennis shoes, sweats, short-shorts or swimwear. San Diego is pretty casual as far a cities go anyway. I never felt over or under dressed in dark slacks with a nice shirt and shoes at most functions. If they want you in a dress...they will specify it. ;)

Enjoy yourself~

If it were me, I would wear the dark slacks, a pair of nice black flats or loafers, and either a collared shirt under a nice v-neck sweater or a sweater set (button down cardigan over a matching shell). If you want to be conservative, go with a darker color on the sweater. Alternately you could wear your black skirt with some black tights instead of the pants. If your girls dresses would look ok with some nice tights, that would keep their legs warm too.

Have fun! And congratulations!!

Blame it all on my roots, I'll show up in boots...

Just kidding. I sure would be more comfortable in nice jeans and cowboy boots, but then I also wouldn't be because I'd be worried about whether or not I was dressed appropriately. I did read all the replies last night, then tore my closet apart, then tore my kids' closets apart, then made dh take pics of me in different outfits, then took pics of the kids in different outfits. I planned to post the pics and ask for opinions again, but I think we've got it figured out.

I'm going to wear the black slacks with the pinstripes and either a white blouse with red cami underneath or a black sweater with a little glitter in it. 16yodd is going to wear black slacks. I remembered she put some up in the garage sale pile. After she tried them on and decided she liked them she said, "Hey! Where'd you get these?":001_rolleyes: She's either wearing a black sweater with those attached fake collar and cuffs to look like a shirt underneath or a similar red sweater or a red blouse. 12yodd is wearing black silky gauchos she forgot she had and either a lavendar top or burgundy tank with little black shrug. I bought ballet flats for all of us at Payless (BOGO sale). I've got to have the girls finalize this all with me in a few minutes.

14yods has khaki slacks (not dorky) and a nice dark green, short-sleeved, button up shirt (a slightly more casual outfit) or black slacks and long-sleeved black shirt with white and grey stripes (slightly dressier outfit) that he can wear. I'm leaving the choice up to him because I really think either is nice enough for the occasion. If he wears the black, dh will be the only one not wearing black, so maybe he can help balance it out.

Anyway, thanks again. I don't know why I get so stressed over what to wear to places and events with which I'm unfamiliar, but I nearly have a breakdown every time over this stuff. I've never been in the business world. We've always attended home fellowships. I am a jeans person who usually only dresses up for date nights, weddings, and funerals. SIL called me from California today while I was out buying shoes. I told her all I had left to do really was figure out what to wear. She said, "Oh yeah! The best part!" She does not get how this can be such torture for me.:lol: She promised that next time if she's in town she will come help me pack.:D

Business Casual...I think a nice sweater and slacks with flats. I wouldn't even think "dresses" as I never, okay, hardly ever, wore those to work. If you do go with dresses, just something they would wear to a dinner - a skirt and sweater or a black dress with a button down front and maybe a sweater over it...nothing "fancy."

For your son, a Polo style shirt (long or short sleeved) and khaki. Sorry if they are "dorky," but jeans are definitely NOT business casual.