Menu

ISO of the most comfortable queen air mattresses

ProudGrandma

It's my humble opinion that they all sleep the same because they are all air in a bag.  I think they're rather comfortable as long as you can easily control the firmness; so a button where the sleeper can easily customize this is really nice.  We've used this one for several years as a guest bed and it's held up nicely for occasional visitors.  Having it inflate to bed height is nice and that chamber on the perimeter really makes it hold it's shape.  I think the biggest comfort problem with air mattresses is that they sleep cold and once you're cold you cannot get comfortable.  Putting a comforter under the bottom sheet or a mattress pad with a layer of foam helps.  I may get a heated mattress pad for mine before we have guests again.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Air mattress that you blow up for a guest or sleep number permanent type?

what I am wanting is an air mattress that my husband and I can own to take with us to our daughter's apartment to sleep on in her spare bedroom...or take to my parent's home when we visit.  In some cases it might be an over nighter....or a week or two.  We are used to a really nice zero gravity bed (and we know we won't get that), but we are trying to just get a traveling bed that will be the most comfortable. 

We used air mattresses at our cabin for quite a long time while we worked on getting real mattresses picked out and delivered.  Like, maybe a couple of years.

What we found was:
1.  They spring leaks extraordinarily easily.  Get a patch kit.  Be ready to use it in the middle of the night.  Also have your pump on a charger so that it will be full of charge after you do the patch.  

2.  The tiniest little thing can puncture them.  Get a drop cloth and keep it religiously cleaned.

3.  In general, the thicker the better.  The final one that we had was at least 15-18 inches thick.  It was great.  I wish I could recall the brand—it was not Aerobed.  We got it at a local hardware store.  

4.  They are smaller than the ‘size’ on the box.  So if you want a queen size, buy one that is labeled king size and you’ll be about right.  

5.  They are as warm as the air you fill them with.  So if you fill them with warm air when you arrive, they are warm.  If you leave them filled and the interior cools off while you’re gone, you’ll want to pull back the covers when you turn the heater on, so that the covers won’t help keep them cold while the house is warming up.  Then wait until the air in the room has been warm for a while before topping off the air in the mattress.  Even so, it takes 2-3 days to fully get up to temperature.  Pulling back the covers each morning helps to speed that up.

6.  You won’t want to be blowing them up every night; it takes quite a long time.  So try to avoid planning that need into your system.

An Exped MegaMat Max 15 Duo Sleeping Pad! Exped's are pricey but fabulous. Worth every penny. We own two of the MegaMat Max 15 Singles and LOVE them. I am going to use them in our car conversion so that we can opt to sleep on them in the car as well.

• do no deflate like Aerobed mattresses (we owned two and gave them both away because they are ridiculous)
  • lightweight
  • mostly self-inflate but they provide a mini pump if you want to make them very firm.
  • easy to adjust if it's too firm or soft. 

REI sells them. You can try them out at a store or buy online and try at home. If you don't like, send them back. We bought ours last year online and took them camping. IMO, they are as good and maybe better than regular mattresses.

https://www.rei.com/product/171116/exped-megamat-max-15-duo-sleeping-pad

• Thanks 1