Menu

Considering a PDA

Now that I have figured out how to use iCal (calendar on the Mac), I am considering getting a very inexpensive pda.

So I am wondering how they work out for others, as well as any recommendations for pdas, or features to look for, etc.

I do not want it to have a lot of different functions. I don't want it to go online, I don't want it to also be a phone, etc. All I really want it to do is to carrry my schedule and beep so as to remind me to look at it (very important feature!!!!!!!), as well as work with a Mac (Palm has a converter, so I am not too worried about finding that).

Now, if it would allow me to read downloaded text, that would be nice too, or play mp3/wma stuff, but neither is necessary at all.

Thanks very much! I was looking around on amazon to see what was out there, and it was overwhelming, esp as the one I spent the most time looking at turned out to be something from 2000 (and therefore possibly not compatible with Mac OS 10.5!)

Thanks again :)

Have you considered a PDA/phone combo? Palm has a few that use Palm OS which is what their regular PDA's use. I don't know much about MACs... I have a Palm Treo phone that uses Windows and can create/edit word and excel docs and view PDF files. I'm sure there are other phones that can do this. I got a Palm phone because I was already using a PDA that broke and I like that it cuts down on one more thing I have to keep track of! I'm replying using it right now.

My Treo works great with my Mac!

The Palm line has really "shrunk" - but i'd suggest a Zire. I see that Palm isn't shipping for 6-7 weeks, i actually had ordered DD one for CHristmas 2 years ago and never got it. Amazon let me down on SUper Saver shipping :glare: Anyway, poke around for availability.

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2113008&cp=3238805

A friend has had hers for a couple of years now (just upgraded to a Centro - phone combo unit) and hasn't had any issues with it. Add Handyshopper (free) and you have all you need for your "portable mommy brain" :D

Thanks very much everyone :) I'm going to look into those--so far they look nice.

The thing about a phone/pda combo is that I don't keep my cell phone with me all the time, and sometimes my husband has it (we are not major cell phones users, still stuck in the stone age!), so it would be a problem if they were together!

We have not one, but two Sony Clie's that are now gathering dust (we switched to a phone version, which gets used all the time... I hated having the two separate things).

It has a Palm 5.0 operating system, and are in good working order (when charged).

Anyhow... they were $200 new, not worth that much now of course :D

;)

Thanks very much everyone :) I'm going to look into those--so far they look nice.

The thing about a phone/pda combo is that I don't keep my cell phone with me all the time, and sometimes my husband has it (we are not major cell phones users, still stuck in the stone age!), so it would be a problem if they were together!

Maybe you can get one for you and dh can either borrow it when needed or use a pay as you go phone.

Good luck figuring it out :D.

Maybe Santa can bring you one? Just as a suggestion...a pawn shop maybe a good place to pick up a used pda.