Menu

Hamster sick - need advice what to do??

My dd has a dwarf hamster that is 2 1/2 years old. Two months ago he was bleeding near his tail and was very weak. I thought it was his time, but he made an amazing recovery and was back to normal for a while. This week he has lost most of the hair on his head and back and is scratching alot. He is also bleeding - I think from the scratching. His energy seems fine.

Since our hamster is near the end of his life age wise my dh doesn't want to pay for a vet visit and thinks we should euthanize the hamster to put him out of his misery. He called two vets and they want $60 to euthanize a hamster, which my dh doesn't want to pay.

Does anyone know if hair lost is a sign that he is in his final days? If we decide to end his life, is there any safe/kind way to do that?

We really don't know what to do at this point and my dh and dd are very stressed.

Honestly, I'd just try to make him comfy, with extra-soft bedding and his fav food. If he lets you hold him, wash your hands well after. He will probably not last much longer. We have had many, many gerbils, and once they get to hair loss or bleeding issues, it's near the end.