Menu

Textbook Note taking ideas

Pongo

I have seen several posts about how to outline, I found this to be one of the most important study skills as I was going through college, and I wished someone had taught it to me much earlier.

I had a wonderful college professor, he actually spent time teaching his class in the first few weeks of Freshman year about the "secret" on taking textbook notes. It's an old method(he said) using index cards. I prefer, and teach with the ruled 5x8. He had us give a color to every subject we felt we need to study for ,and then put a colored stripe on the top of the index card. For example my dd is outlining history, ALL her notes for history have a blue stripe on the top. I made a key in our school room and the system is so simple.

Our Key is like this:

History/Geography-BLUE

Science-RED

Art-ORANGE

Math-BLACK

We use IEW for writing and we have a writing center, which is basically a report board with ALL the IEW information.

Here are some notes from his class:001_smile:

First scan through the chapter, and write at the top of the index card the title of the chapter (make sure it has the matching colored stripe). On the left side top corner, write the page number( EX. pg. 53).

Now, read the chapter completely, go back and answer these questions while writing them on you index card:

~I. Briefly describe, in your own words the major theme/thesis or controlling idea from the introductory paragraphs. The major theme can appear in the form of a problem, issue or argument.

~ II.Briefly and clearly in your own words pick out the essential and important ideas. You may add some brief supporting details, but be sparing. Absolutely avoid copying from the text as this hinders learning instead of helping.

~III. Write down any vocabulary words you do not know the definition of and look them up( you don't have to write the definition, just be familiar with them)

On the other side of the index card, turn it sideways so, it's longer. Write a simple outline form to show logical and important relationships between ideas. Use space to create an uncluttered and ordered arrangement so that the eye can immediately distinguish the important from the less important.

Example:

I. Geographic feature #1: Himalayan Mountains

1) Description:

a) forms an protective arch around India's

northern border.

b) the tallest mountains in the world.

c) very difficult to cross

2) Effects on civilization or nation

a) acted as a barrier to invasions

b) isolates India from cold northern winds

II. Geographic feature #2: Sahara Desert

1) Description:

a) worlds largest desert

b) stretches from Atlantic Ocean to

Ethiopian Highlands

2) Effects on civilization or nation

a) isolated northern Africa from rest of

continent

b) lack of arable land make food production

difficult

III. Geographic feature #3: Yangtze River

1) Description:

a) China's longest river

b) runs from East China Sea to mountains of

Tibet

ETA: The outling did not indent as it should have, I hope you get the idea.

Review notes & your outline immediately after completing the reading OUT LOUD,(this is really important, narration) summarize your notes orally. This may well be the most important review for you as it will reinforce what you have just learned. Once over is rarely enough. This secures the initial learning permitting it to enter the long-term memory storage system and subsequent periodic reviews will be merely reviews instead of relearning. Only a few minutes are required. This review also synthesizes the material into a whole.

Notes should be in ink & legible.

My dd likes to punch a hole in the top and put them on a ring. She reviews them on Fridays,our light days.

I on the other hand liked putting them in Rolodex, not as portable as her idea:)

I started using this method in 4th grade for her when she went into Logic stage, it may be later for my ds.

Edited by Pongo

Ding, ding! Bookmark-worthy post of the day! Thank you for this.

:hurray:

[ETA: I copied your post into a Word document, then highlighted the outline and clicked on auto-format, et voila! Just FYI for the others who I'm sure will want to print this as well.]

Edited by Nicole M

Don't tell on me, I use a spine not listed in the TOG reading assignments.;) I think it's my inability to follow a schedule and my rebellious nature (my husband says)

I like to think it's because we like having the continuity of having 1 spine through out and I really don't like the Usborne books for outlining. My dd will outline 1 "spine", she got used to the format of it rather quickly. This will make the transition to General Science (another text) much easier to outline, as well as other textbooks I believe.

Don't tell on me, I use a spine not listed in the TOG reading assignments.;) I think it's my inability to follow a schedule and my rebellious nature (my husband says)

And the spine you use is???? :D [ETA Nevermind! :) I just ran across a post of yours stating that you use Oxford.]

The reason I ask is because I am having great difficulty teaching my 11 yo outlining. Perhaps it is because I truly don't know how to outline myself, or because I cannot figure out how to do it with the Usborne book used in TOG y1. It seems to me that it is already so condensed as to not be outline-worthy.:confused:

I don't feel TOG needs a spine, but if it serves a purpose...such as outlining...then I'm all for adding it in. ;)

Edited by Melissa in CA