Menu

Writing

My4arrows

So far we haven’t done much formal writing. We attempted Writeshop Early on and then I scrapped it since I preferred focusing on reading spelling and handwriting. Then we tried IEW in 3rd and it was too overwhelming. Last year we did use Writeshop with some success but I’m not sure I want to continue with it. He does a lot of creative writing in his free time- writing books, comics, magazine, short stories. 

I keep look back to IEW. I like the video instruction since writing isn’t my strongest subject. I also need more structure for him now that he will be in 7th grade. And IEW does appeal to me with the note taking approach, more formal essay writing and I just really like Mr. Pudewa  

He’s currently taking a Write at home class online and is going well but I don’t want to continue with the program for a few reasons. 

So that’s a long way of asking for suggestions for writing curriculum. It’s the subject I will be focusing the most one on one time with him as he’s independent with the majority of the others. 

Edited by My4arrows

My kids are young, and so I don't have any experience with middle school writing curriculum for homeschoolers.  However, I am a writing tutor, have my masters in writing, and work with lots of middle schoolers.  I see a lot of public school assignments that ask 7th graders to:

1) write narratives (a story with dialogue, description, character development, and usually a reflection at the end)

2) write persuasive essays (5 paragraph essay that has a thesis statement and uses some research to prove a point - focus on things like good topic sentences, staying on topic in each body paragraph, writing a good introduction and conclusion, and integrating quotes properly into a paragraph).  I've seen prompts like "Should students wear uniforms?" or "Should the school week by 4 days instead of 5?"

3) Book reports or summaries - summarizing and doing it well is a super important skill

4) Literary analysis (an assignment might ask a student to choose a theme from the text and then create a thesis based off that theme, then write a 5 paragraph essay on it, integrating quotes from the text as proof)

These are most of the assignments I've seen.  I'm not super big on the narrative essay.  I would focus on finding a curriculum that teaches the 5 paragraph essay, integrating research/quotes into a paragraph, and that teaches what a good body paragraph looks likes.  This doesn't have to be completed in a year.  I have plenty of 8th and 9th grade students that struggle with writing an essay.  I'd make these long term goals.

I bought IEW used.  I have only started looking at it, but I'm not sure I'm going to like it.  This is based on my first glance, but it feels very formulaic for me.  I plan to watch the videos this summer.  Good luck!

Laura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MomN said:

My kids are young, and so I don't have any experience with middle school writing curriculum for homeschoolers.  However, I am a writing tutor, have my masters in writing, and work with lots of middle schoolers.  I see a lot of public school assignments that ask 7th graders to:

1) write narratives (a story with dialogue, description, character development, and usually a reflection at the end)

2) write persuasive essays (5 paragraph essay that has a thesis statement and uses some research to prove a point - focus on things like good topic sentences, staying on topic in each body paragraph, writing a good introduction and conclusion, and integrating quotes properly into a paragraph).  I've seen prompts like "Should students wear uniforms?" or "Should the school week by 4 days instead of 5?"

3) Book reports or summaries - summarizing and doing it well is a super important skill

4) Literary analysis (an assignment might ask a student to choose a theme from the text and then create a thesis based off that theme, then write a 5 paragraph essay on it, integrating quotes from the text as proof)

These are most of the assignments I've seen.  I'm not super big on the narrative essay.  I would focus on finding a curriculum that teaches the 5 paragraph essay, integrating research/quotes into a paragraph, and that teaches what a good body paragraph looks likes.  This doesn't have to be completed in a year.  I have plenty of 8th and 9th grade students that struggle with writing an essay.  I'd make these long term goals.

I bought IEW used.  I have only started looking at it, but I'm not sure I'm going to like it.  This is based on my first glance, but it feels very formulaic for me.  I plan to watch the videos this summer.  Good luck!

Laura

Thank you, that is all good to think about when choosing. IEW is very formulaic, yet it is in an area he is weak in. The creative writing he does well on his own.   So narrative won’t be a focus, but the more report type is what I am needing for him.   Same with literary anylasis, but I had though thst may be a focus the next year with the skills from 7th and 6th reviewed. 

1 hour ago, freesia said:

I like Jump In for seventh grade.

(All my kids have done IEW for upper elementary.  It's worked well for us, so I think that is good, too)

So I liked what I read about this on Cathy duffys site. I’m going to look into it more. Do you need the teachers manual too?

Edited by My4arrows
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, My4arrows said:

Thank you, that is all good to think about when choosing. IEW is very formulaic, yet it is in an area he is weak in. The creative writing he does well on his own.   So narrative won’t be a focus, but the more report type is what I am needing for him.   Same with literary anylasis, but I had though thst may be a focus the next year with the skills from 7th and 6th reviewed. 

I already see academic writing as so formulaic as it is, so I think the sentence-level nitpicking that IEW uses (again, first glance) can stifle a kid's creativity.  That's good if your son likes creative writing.  He can use that in his 5 paragraph essays.  I worked with a student starting in 4th grade.  Her writing always felt colorful and creative, but every time I would introduce a formula to her (body paragraph = topic sentence, signal phrase, quote, explanation and analysis, another quote, more explanation and analysis), she would kind of do her thing while somewhat following directions.  I kept modeling and reintroducing the same ideas but I never wanted to say "you're doing it wrong" but I think that can really hurt a creative writer.  Or "I need you to do it this way."  Anyways, she's now in 8th grade and she is both creative and knows how to write a 5 paragraph essay the way I want her to.  Just some thoughts about being too formulaic and accidentally stifling a creative voice.

• Like 1

Not really. It’s been a few years (there is a four year gap between my third and fourth),  but the main teaching is in the student text. I used it for the ten minute free writing topics, but you could do without it.  The answers in it aren’t hard to figure out yourself.

• Like 1