Menu

Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime story books

katemm

Hey friends!

I'm an Australian living in the US with four kids, ages six and under.

I'm looking for some excellent Aboriginal Dreamtime story books, both in content and illustrations. I'd love to know if anyone has a resource they use for finding quality Aboriginal literature, and quality Australian literature resources in general, for that matter too.

My Google searches aren't really taking me anywhere.

Thanks!

Kate

Here are more ideas:

picture books
Four Around the World blog article: "10 Incredible Books About Australia"
Childhood 101 blog article: "40 Australian Picture Books By Our Favorite Australian Authors"
Brisbane Kids blog article: "The Ultimate Guide to the Best Australian Picture Books"
Amazon website list: "Best Sellers in Children's Australia and Oceania Books"

chapter books
Pickle Bums blog article: "Chapter Books by Awesome Aussie Authors"
Good Books website list: "Australian Children's Literature" -- books by Australian authors
Kids Travel Books website list: "Children's Books set in Australia"
Amazon website list: "Australia and Oceania Chapter Books"

• Like 1

Did you know you can limit Google search results to only Australian websites by adding site:au to your search string?  That might help you refine your search.

This is an area of emphasis in the Australian curriculum, and that means council libraries follow suit. I'd try searching the web catalogues of major capital city libraries in Australia, and looking through lists like the Children's Book Council of Australia if you're after more recent publications.  Then, when you've found a title you like the look of, you can search for them by name wherever you normally buy books.

There are also a few Australian homeschool blogs that might be useful, often with a Charlotte Mason flavour.  Seven Little Australians and Counting has a great book finding tool here: https://sevenlittleaustralians.com/australian-books/

You might also try this one: https://journey-and-destination.blogspot.com/p/towards-australian-charlotte-mason.html

And a third one: http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/2009/06/our-australian-curriculum.html

I agree with @Rosie_0801 that Percy Tresize has some lovely picture books about Northern Australian rock art, although I don't believe he himself is indigenous, if that matters to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The illustrator, Dick Roughsey, was though.

I didn't know that!  I do know Tresize won an award for his service to indigenous communities.  The books are lovely - mostly Western style illustrations, but the cave paintings take pride of place when they appear.  The Mungoon-Gali megafauna one was a particular hit when my boys were younger 🙂

7 minutes ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I didn't know that!  I do know Tresize won an award for his service to indigenous communities.  The books are lovely - mostly Western style illustrations, but the cave paintings take pride of place when they appear.  The Mungoon-Gali megafauna one was a particular hit when my boys were younger 🙂

I was lucky enough to see some of the Quinkins paintings. It was like a dream come true, because they were some of my favourite books back in primary school!