Menu

Any blog, message boards, etc you recommend?

saraha

Survival Mom (book and blog) is probably my favorite.  It’s difficult to find ones that aren’t WAY out there.

LDS websites are also cool.  Food Storage Made Easy (blog, printable binder) is a good one that I believe is LDS related.  (Not a promotion of LDS from me, but they know some things!)

• Like 1

I like reading The Prudent Homemaker.  She is LDS, but doesn't talk much about her religion other than to say self-sufficiency is very much encouraged in her church. It's not specifically a prepper blog; it leans more toward saving money and living a simple life, but those concepts overlap considerably with prepping. 

She's also a really calm-sounding person, which I appreciate. 

• Like 1

I found this forum that so far seems to be filled with quite normal, rational people

https://theprepared.com/forum/

They come right out and say this about what is allowed and not:

Let’s look at some examples:

“The US federal government didn’t handle COVID as well as other developed countries.”

That’s fine because it’s factually correct and isn’t worded in a way to attack someone or their supporters. And it ties to preparedness because knowing what our government can or can’t do in an emergency is relevant.

“tRrump made COVID worse.”

That’s not okay. It’s a worthy debate to have in the public arena — in the way holding all of our leaders is appropriate — but it’s too subjective, likely to cause bickering, and will just distract from the prepping conversation. And leave the silly names like “Nobama” and “tRump” at the door.

“I think California made a lot of bad decisions over the last decades when it comes to mitigating wildfires.”

That’s fine. Even though it’s an opinion, it would ideally have some supporting evidence for the claim, and it’s worded in a way that can allow a civil debate.

“Those Commiefornian libtards need to go rake some more forests if they want to have fewer wildfires.” 

Not okay, and would likely result in a ban.

Avoiding fake news, conspiracies, and other disinformation

There’s plenty of actual problems in the world — we don’t need to make it worse by adding unfounded or fake problems on top. And we certainly don’t want to aid our enemies who try to pour fuel on these fires to create even more problems within our society.

We’re just as distrustful of institutions like the media and government as you are. But that doesn’t mean the tin-foil-hat person yelling in a Youtube video is correct.

Sandy Hook was real. 9/11 was not an inside job. Fluoride in water is not used for mind control. FEMA is not tapping your computer to find out what supplies you have. And the Illuminati have your best interests in mind — they promise!

The more outlandish a claim, the more we’ll judge if there is any dependable evidence for it. For example:

“The Chinese engineered COVID-19 in a lab with strains of HIV so they could attack the West.”

Maybe that’s true. We don’t know and neither do you. But we do know there is a lot of evidence against that being true, and vice versa, no real evidence supporting it is true. So until there is credible evidence — at which point we would stand alongside you and say “we should talk about this” — that’s not okay to say here.

Remember folks: “Science” is not an opinion or point of view that somehow conflicts with your world-view. Science is just the search for verifiable truth.

We won’t always get it right — but we will always try

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, saraha said:

I read her blog years ago, but had kind of forgotten about it. It has changed!

She definitely has a lot more kids than when I first started reading! 

I found her blog when kiddo was a baby and we are holy-cats-how-in-the-world-will-we-do-this kind of broke.  I do wish she'd post more of her sewing projects.  I'm not finding anything inspiring on Pinterest these days. 

• Like 1