Menu

Elementary Diagramming? Other programs?

Renee in NC

The grammar program that I plan to use for the next 2 years for my 10yo does not include diagramming. I would like to include diagramming instruction, though, as after that two years I hope to move him into the Abeka 7th grade book.

The First Whole Book of Diagrams is mentioned in TWTM to use with Shurley (which also doesn't diagram.) Has anyone used this? Is it fairly simple to use (meaning for me - I don't have a lot of diagramming experience)? Is it worth the fairly hefty price tag (it and the workbook is roughly $35)?

Or is there some other resource that you recommend?

We used the First Whole Book of Diagrams and it is a beautiful book, actually, I really like it. However it is more of a beginners book to diagramming- doesnt go into the more complex structures. However for those first few years, it's wonderful and much more aesthetic in terms of the sentences than other programs I have seen. It almost shows sentence diagrams as an art, really- it definitely shows the beauty in them.

We used the First Whole Book of Diagrams and it is a beautiful book, actually, I really like it. However it is more of a beginners book to diagramming- doesnt go into the more complex structures. However for those first few years, it's wonderful and much more aesthetic in terms of the sentences than other programs I have seen. It almost shows sentence diagrams as an art, really- it definitely shows the beauty in them.

Thanks Peela! Would you consider it adequate diagramming for a 6th grader?

Thanks Peela! Would you consider it adequate diagramming for a 6th grader?

Yes, if they are just learning sentence diagramming for the first time. I guess it depends on how "hard core" you are about sentence diagramming, too. It definitely lays a good foundation, and I like the way it does it. But it doesnt take you "all the way" to the more complex stuff.