Menu

Has anyone done TGTB LA a level or two above where child tested?

ksr5377

I have a 7th grader who I need something more open and go to use with.  I was looking this over and thought it might be better than the nothing that ends up happening more often than not lately and the PDF's are reasonably priced.  Her reading and spelling are way above grade level and her writing is good, except for some grammatical errors she makes.  The grammar questions on the placement quiz are where she lost all her points.  I am concerned that if I place her in level 5 she'll revolt at some of the readings.  Or would we be better off going with level 5 and focusing on the grammar, moving through it and level 6 more quickly?

Hello,  I am currently doing level 4 with my youngest who is in 2nd grade.  We skip the writing portion.

If level 5 is laid out the same way as level 4, I would think the reading comprehension part is way to easy for your daughter. But that component can be easily skipped. 

Again, if the lay out is the same, she could easily skip all the other parts and just do the grammer part.  In level 4, Spelling and Writing is in a different book. 

Hope this helps.

From our experience: an "all-in-one" LA program is only a time-saver AND really only works well if the student is *at* the grade level for all of the subjects. Otherwise, the parent is having to supplement/add or substitute for the parts that are below the student's level, and also having to add materials and intensively teach the parts that are above the student's level.

Other options for open and go Language Arts (LA), that allow the parent to place the student at her level for each subject area of LA:

Literature
- Lightning Lit. & Comp. (grade 7, grade 8)
- Mosdos - level Jade (gr. 7), level Gold (gr. 8 )
- Essentials in Literature (grade 7, grade 8) -- DVD-based lessons
- or, you and DD select some works and use free study guides to go alongside -- see list below for a few ideas

Writing
- Winning With Writing (grade 7grade 8)
- Evan Moore Daily 6 Trait Writing (grade 7, grade 8)
- Essentials in Writing (grade 7, grade 8) -- DVD-based lessons

Grammar
- Growing with Grammar (grade 6;  grade 7;  grade 8)
- Junior Analytical Grammar

Writing & Grammar combined
- Bob Jones University Press

Spelling
Drop this subject if she doesn't need it anymore -- or possibly one of these open and go options:
- Soaring With Spelling
- Spelling Workout level F or level G

"DIY" Literature (middle school lit. + guides):
FREE guides = Glencoe; Core Knowledge; The Best Notes
NOT free guides = Garlic Press Discovering Lit.; Progeny Press; Blackbird & Co; Portals to Lit.; 7 Sisters; Prestwick House

"beginner" classics:
- The Hobbit -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide
- Call of the Wild -- Glencoe Lit. Library guidePortals to Lit. guide
- Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries (Doyle) - Core Knowledge free guide
- Around the World in Eighty Days (Verne) - The Best Notes - chapter summaries/analysis
- Ivanhoe (Scott) - The Best Notes - chapter summaries/analysis
- The Outsiders -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide
- Anne of Green Gables -- Progeny Press guide
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer -- Glencoe Lit. Library guidePortals to Lit. guideProgeny Press guide
- Treasure Island -- Blackbird & Co. guide
- A Christmas Carol -- Portals to Lit. guide
- To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee) -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guide
- The Invisible Man (Wells) -- 7 Sisters guidePrestwick House guide
- Animal Farm (Orwell) -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide; Penguin teacher guide

YA titles that are very discussion-able and are great for beginning literary analysis:
- Tuck Everlasting -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide
- Sounder -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide
- The Cay -- Progeny Press guide
- The Westing Game -- Blackbird & Co. guide
- Eagle of the Ninth -- Progeny Press guide
- The Bronze Bow -- Progeny Press guide
- Island of the Blue Dolphins -- Glencoe Lit. Library guideGarlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide
- Maniac Magee -- Progeny Press guide
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide
- A Wrinkle in Time -- Blackbird & Co. guideGlencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide
- Where the Red Fern Grows -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guideProgeny Press guide
- Bridge to Terebithia -- Glencoe Lit. Library guideProgeny Press guide
- The Giver -- Garlic Press Discovering Lit. guidePortals to Lit. guideProgeny Press guide
- I Am David -- Blackbird & Co. guide
- Julie of the Wolves -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide
- Walk Two Moons -- Glencoe Lit. Library guide

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lori D. thank you so much for giving such a detailed response!  I had never even heard of Essentials in Writing and I think this combined with a simple grammar overview will solve our problem.  She is solid in spelling and we have a great book list we've been working through together this year.  Thank you again.

• Like 1