Menu

How does Engineering Physics compare to Engineering?

Considering a degree in Engineering Physics would open up some other colleges for my son. How does that major compare to Engineering(EE,ME etc)? When you look at the college websites it makes it sound great, of course. But what do employers think? How do job opportunities compare? Salaries?

Thanks

I majored in EE at Va Tech (20 years ago!), so I know a tiny bit about looking at engineering degrees. Engineering Physics seems to be a subset of the Engineering Science and Mechanics degree offered at a few engineering colleges. Basically, it is applied physics. Often EP majors work in fields related to the development and use of materials to manufacture items, or in the nuclear energy field. I have a friend who was an ESM major who works in nuclear power for the government.

When looking at any college degree, it is very informative to look at course offerings and degree checklists. You may not understand all of the course titles/descriptions, but they can give you a feel for what it's all about.

UW-Madison - they tout Engineering Physics as their new degree. It looks like a modernized ESM degree:

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ep/engrphys/curriculum/

Va Tech - this is a great site to poke around. EP is a subset of ESM. You'll find a talk to download about what ESM is:

http://www.esm.vt.edu/~ikpuri/files/podcasts/Entries/2007/1/4_What_is_engineering_science_and_mechanics.html

Lots of other things, too. Here are degree checklists for the various ESM degrees:

http://www.esm.vt.edu/curriculum_checksheet.php

If your student wants to major in engineering, I encourage you to consider:

1. Enrolling him/her in a school that is ABET certified.

2. Not having him/her commit to a degree right now, but to enroll in a school that offers a variety of degrees and a freshman course that helps them decide what will be their major. These survey courses give them a taste of what engineering is about, and introduce them to the various majors.

3. Meanwhile, do what you're doing and research different options now.

HTH,

GardenMom

A thread hijack here... I was an MSE major at VA Tech 20 years ago. Small world!

As for engineering physics, my guess would be that it is like ESM, too. However, I attended two engineering universities, and have never heard the term. I wonder what that would mean for employment.

As a physics major myself, I had a prof who was an engineering physics major. My understanding is that engineering physics is an approach to pure physics that emphasizes practical, real world applications rather than fuzzy-headed theoretical stuff like particle physics or general relativity or other such "burger flipping" degrees.

This is different from the engineering specialties where one concentrates on their own slice of the physics pie (e.g., mechanical, electrical). In my career experience, I've found that many MEs and EEs are brilliant in their specialty but can't think their way out of a paper bag when even a little outside. An engineering physicist should be a capable generalist that can bridge the gap between fields and answer everyone's questions without being an expert in any one area.

A thread hijack here... I was an MSE major at VA Tech 20 years ago. Small world!

As for engineering physics, my guess would be that it is like ESM, too. However, I attended two engineering universities, and have never heard the term. I wonder what that would mean for employment.

Very small world. I was a CE major at VA Tech and graduated in '85. Ds is a freshman engineering student there right now. I am jealous of his notebook computer and the even better food in the dining halls!

I met dh there, but he was "only" a Marketing/Pyschology major.;)

My son is a recent engineering graduate. Here are my experiences:

- We know a lot of unemployed mechanical engineers. I'd encourage specializing in civil, chemical, petroleum, etc.

- Beware of "new" majors that colleges say are great but employers don't accept yet (I had one of those).

P.S. Agreeing with Jay that colleges and employers are also looking for well-rounded kids who have done more than read books!

Engineering Physics is a well-established discipline here in Canada and is offered by a number of the major engineering faculties. It is considered extremely competitive to get in to, and then one of the more challenging programs within Engineering. Here is some info on the discipline and possible careers on the U of British Columbia website.

This reminded me of what my dh recently said after returning from some conference for his work. One of the speakers said that in about 10 years time, most of their jobs would basically cease to exist because they're being 'outsourced' ... the Chinese and Indian engineers apparently work for a lot less than the American engineers. FWIW.

Is your husband in computer engineering, by any chance? I work with tons of Indian families whose husbands are here for computer engineering, programming, etc. They work long hours, and are sent home sometimes with a week's notice, for what I assume is much less than our engineers expect to be paid.

I hadn't heard that other forms of engineering were being outsourced, but I suppose that could follow.

World's changing.

Engineering Physics is a well-established discipline here in Canada

Ah, I was going to say that! My ex-boyfriend and former fiancé (from a long long time ago, and it feels like it was in a galaxy far far away!) is such a graduate. However, it's more like Physics Engineering, just like Mechanical Engineering, or Chemistry Engineering.

I know the names in French, I'm hoping I have the translation right.

The one drawback about Physics engineering is that you sorta need to go all the way to the PhD. You will be employed before that, but it might be conditional.

• 4 months later...

I have a chemical engineering degree and my dh has a civil engineering degree. I worked as a ChemE for the chemical industry and went into the Environmental side. It has high dollar pay and is not economy driven.

I would ask my dc where do they see themselves at the end of their educational road. What do they want to accomplish? I was a physics fanatic, but we did not have a Engineering Physics program. I would really stick to one of the main Engineering degrees, once he gets hired into a company he can specialize. If he really likes physics, maybe Mechanical Engineering would be the way to go.