Menu

Can someone here with experience with diabetes tell me if this sugar swing is normal?

I have a 19yo nephew who signed up for the marines and went for his physical Monday where they found sugar in his urine. He lives on coca-colas. He will go back for bloodwork next week. My mother tested his sugar with her glucose monitor yesterday and about 7 p.m. before he ate it was 72. She tried to get him to eat a healthy dinner, but he refused and ate ramen noodles and a coke. His sugar went to 178. I am hoping that it was the pure carb load he consumed but don't have enough experience with this to really know.

How long after the noodles did she test his sugar levels? That matters. From what I know, a non-diabetic's blood sugar readings shouldn't go over 126. (I'm calculating from Australian measurements to US measurements, but I'm sure someone will chime in and confirm or deny.) It's normal to get some wide swings, but they shouldn't be that wide. Still, if he wants to be diabetic, that's his business. If his mother is, he certainly knows better.

Rosie

There are several types of diabetes and various stages. He really should see a doctor and if he has diabetes, a diabetes educator. Diabetes isn't really a choice. Type 1 is purely autoimmune and you either have it or you don't. You treat it or it is a death sentence. Type 2 is a little different and can be helped through diet and exercise alone sometimes. It is complicated. Bad eating habits won't give you type 1. Somehow people need to realize the importance of good nutrition if they desire a long and healthy life.

Other things can make ketones appear in the urine. When your nephew gets a blood test have them do an a1c (that gives an idea of blood sugars over a three-month period).

Personally, I'd hustle him to the doc now. But then, I have a ds who is type 1 and thankfully he takes good care of himself.

If this is type 1 diabetes, feel free to contact me...I'll help all I can.

Misti

His sugar went to 178.

The short answer is no, this is not normal. Even after a glucose tolerance test with a massive carbohydrate load, blood sugar should not go this high. This could show either insulin resistance, such as what a type 2 diabetic experiences, or a pancreas that is "sputtering", possibly leading to type 1 diabetes. As a pp notes, type 1 is an autoimmune disorder where the beta cells in the pancreas are attacked by the immune system. When approximately 90% of the beta cells are destroyed, a person becomes symptomatic- high blood sugar readings, sugar in the urine, etc. Does he have increased thirst and urination? Weight loss? Fatigue? Those are additional symptoms of diabetes, although at blood glucose of 178, he may not experience any of them. Good luck- I'm sure he will be getting this checked out, right?

Lawana (with a type 1 dd)