Menu

How are your outsourced classes going?

teachermom2834

If you outsource, that is. Of course it is great if you do everything on your own 🙂

My 7th grade dd is finally up and going in all of hers. She has a lot but I think it is going well. Just getting the hang of the schedules. She has five with MPOA and 1 with WTMA. We’ve used the two providers for years so that part isn’t new. 

In the past, dd was able to take MPOA classes and still complete the rest of the MP core curriculum. I am seeing that is not happening this year. I’m going to have to pick and choose what we do and the way we we do it. That is fine, she is getting plenty through her classes. It is just an adjustment for me because the first time we really can’t do it all. She really likes her classes, though, so we are happy.

We are looking at a twice a week cottage school for next year. She is the only one left at home, quite lonely, and there really is nothing socially for her here to meet the need without sacrificing our academic goals. I suspect the workload from six online classes will prepare her for whatever the cottage school could require. 

My 5th grader is taking Writing & Rhetoric through Schole Academy and it is AWESOME. It’s taking an important subject off my plate and the amount of “homework” has been just right. It also gives me some uninterrupted time 3 days a week to work with my younger kiddo. No tech problems — so far!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, teachermom2834 said:

If you outsource, that is. Of course it is great if you do everything on your own 🙂

My 7th grade dd is finally up and going in all of hers. She has a lot but I think it is going well. Just getting the hang of the schedules. She has five with MPOA and 1 with WTMA. We’ve used the two providers for years so that part isn’t new. 

In the past, dd was able to take MPOA classes and still complete the rest of the MP core curriculum. I am seeing that is not happening this year. I’m going to have to pick and choose what we do and the way we we do it. That is fine, she is getting plenty through her classes. It is just an adjustment for me because the first time we really can’t do it all. She really likes her classes, though, so we are happy.

We are looking at a twice a week cottage school for next year. She is the only one left at home, quite lonely, and there really is nothing socially for her here to meet the need without sacrificing our academic goals. I suspect the workload from six online classes will prepare her for whatever the cottage school could require. 

With 6 online classes what is left of the core that she isn’t completing?  

Just now, Mom2mthj said:

With 6 online classes what is left of the core that she isn’t completing?  

Spelling, English Grammar Recitation, American History, Christian Studies, the poetry, timeline, recitation, science, greek alphabet book. There is alot of stuff in there!

Of her six- one is French from WTMA so extra not part of the core and she is taking Classical Studies 1 which would be in next year's core. So those two are extra and wouldn't have been in the core anyway. 

Six online classes is a lot especially for that age.  I would take the guide, put it on the shelf, and ignore it.  Maybe do some poetry over the summer.  If she manages all those classes, I would count it as a very good, very full year.  

25 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Six online classes is a lot especially for that age.  I would take the guide, put it on the shelf, and ignore it.  Maybe do some poetry over the summer.  If she manages all those classes, I would count it as a very good, very full year.  

I agree. She is doing plenty and is happy. If we get into a groove and have time I will add some back in. I’m not fretting about it at all. She is doing a lot and enjoying it so I’m not going to loose sleep about cramming stuff in.