Menu

Math curriculum advice please

Cindyg

I need math curriculum advice, please. This is for a friend who is a real homeschooler, not a covid refugee, but not on the boards.

She needs curriculums for grade 2, 5, 6, and 8. She needs something that is hand-off-and-go as she has eight children at home.

She loved the structure of ACE (used for 20 years), but her older kids say they aren’t pleased with their ACE education.

What else might work for her?

I'm hesitant for any math to be "hand off and go", but with that age spread she might want to check out Math Mammoth since you can get all arithmatic levels and maybe pre-álgebra in one go. HSBC regularly has it on sale. One note of caution, the intent is for the student to complete about half the problems unless they run into difficulties. I had to"X" through the extra problems to keep my student from feeling overwhelmed. It wasn't enough for me to tell her to just do the odds. They are worktexts, so the teaching is in the book, directed at the students. However I always sat (sit) close during math time to answer questions and keep people focused.

The older three might be able to do Saxon. She would have them take the placement test. It is not as self-correcting as ACE is; OTOH, it's a much better math instruction, IMHO.

Surely she can spend some time with the youngest. Rod and Staff Publishers has an *excellent* math series; the first three years require someone to teach the lesson first, about 10 minutes, and then the child does the seatwork independently.

CLE math is very hands off. Grades one and two have more teacher involvement but by grade three the student is mostly independent.  It is a very solid math curriculum. Another self-teaching curriculum is Developmental Mathematics. It is not a traditional scope and sequence and it strictly covers arithmetic so things like telling time are not included but it is a solid program that I used successfully with six children. It covers elementary math. 

Teaching Textbooks is also very hands off.  have used their Pre-Algebra and Algebra courses.

Susan in TX