Menu

digital narration or digital notebooking? brainstorm with me ?

ktgrok

I'm thinking my second grader might really enjoy an alternative to traditional "draw a picture and write a sentence" type activities after our readings. What might be a way to do that digitally, on an ipad or laptop, that a bright 2nd grader could do? Something like a power point presentation, making a slide a day or something maybe? Any ideas?

I have notability, and started playing with it a bit. But then the parental controls kicked in and it was making put in the password over and over to extend my screentime, lol. But, I'm super intrigued! 

I may have them try to do their work on it tomorrow....my 7 yr old is really intrigued with the idea. Only downside is one ipad, two kids. They also have a touchscreen chromebook, but having to learn two different apps may be a bad idea? Hmm...

So, I set him up on notability. Not only did he actually ENJOY doing his notebooking page today (it was super brief), but he then figured out how to create mixed media art! He's importing images he finds on the web, combining them in new ways, adding drawings to it, etc! I mean, don't get me wrong...it's not um...classy? It's 7 year old boy art....but WOW! This is my kid who doesn't like to draw, HATES to color, etc so to find him a way to do art that he is enjoying (and is keeping him off video games!) is amazing! Below is his very first creation - this one is just cut and paste and resized images he found, put together in a new way. (and yes, I need to talk to him about copyright, etc)

I'm suddenly VERY excited for him for this year!

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.52.27 PM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

notability

Well I love what he made and the adventurousness with which he made it! I would not have thought to try Notability with ds but now I'm going to! Turns out there's also a mac version and it's on sale right now for $2. I want to see if he can then use dictation with it. Shold be able to.

Im back, yes you can!!! So score, you jut solved a problem for me!! 

Edited by PeterPan

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Well I love what he made and the adventurousness with which he made it! I would not have thought to try Notability with ds but now I'm going to! Turns out there's also a mac version and it's on sale right now for $2. I want to see if he can then use dictation with it. Shold be able to.

Im back, yes you can!!! So score, you jut solved a problem for me!! 

Yes, the dictation was why I wanted to try it for DD (dyslexic) and him (probably dysgraphic). She isn't a fan, but he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes, the dictation was why I wanted to try it for DD (dyslexic) and him (probably dysgraphic). She isn't a fan, but he is. 

That is so ironic! Yes easy in notab because mic button is right there. wish it would let you place text anywhere more easily but there is probably a way. i wanted to center a title for instance. my ds will be less intuitive with his asd but we'll see. i'm thinking he could use it for the kwame alexander poetry writing

8 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That is so ironic! Yes easy in notab because mic button is right there. wish it would let you place text anywhere more easily but there is probably a way. i wanted to center a title for instance. my ds will be less intuitive with his asd but we'll see. i'm thinking he could use it for the kwame alexander poetry writing

I just have them drag it where they want it after the fact. 

You might want to look at some videos on using student interactive notebooks with google slides - looks like you can create a "master" with placeholder text right where you want it. Then they click on the placeholder text to put their own words in. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, so this is what I meant by "less than classy", lol. This is titled "Hamburger in a Toot-Tu"....the toot part because the hamburger is farting, lol. Mixed media art though, so win?

Today we are doing a lesson from Blossom and Root's Exploring the Art in Math that uses shapes....I'm going to have him do the lesson on the ipad and see what he comes up with. Or maybe I'll log him into Canva and see what he does there. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.27.11 AM.png

• Haha 1