Menu

Book Shark for Crisis Homeschoolers in VA?

knitgrl

We have atheist friends in Va. They were appalled that the ps required their Kindergartener to spend 6 hours a day on a screen for school during COVID spring. They are now looking at Book Shark, and looking to me as a sort of guide, since we've been homeschooling awhile. Their son can read well, he doesn't need any instruction that way, except maybe have him read aloud to make sure he's not tripping over more difficult words. He seems to have a pretty good grasp of math and can multiply. They were looking at Level B. Someone said here recently that their science wasn't exactly fact-based. Could someone expand on that? Is there anything else I should tell them? I've never done a box curriculum before, so this is somewhat new to me, although thanks to these boards, I can tell them that choosing Right Start Math is a great choice. :-)

Edited by knitgrl

I thought I read that Book Shark is "neutral" which means that they will avoid discussion of evolution and perhaps the age of the earth? If so, your friends could handle those issues separately to the extent needed in kindergarten. I wouldn't recommend that approach for k-12, but if they are planning on a year (or two) of crisis schooling it might be a reasonable compromise.

I thought it was, too, And I wouldn't have asked, except someone on the boards said something about it being less than fact based recently, but that's all that was said, so I am curious. If it's just reading the science books that go with it, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I don't know what goes on with the Instructor's Guides.

Edited by knitgrl

Level E has the biology book from RS4K, whose author is a proponent of intelligent design.  Some people have taken issue with the phrasing in her books.  You will probably be able to find what it is by searching RS4K instead of Bookshark.  Personally, when I read about the issue it seemed like the critics were being over-sensitive whine-babies.  And in the context of using one book in one level of bookshark, shrug, I'm sure they are better off with bookshark than a standard grade level science textbook with its inch-deep, mile-wide s&s.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

said something about it being less than fact based recently

Well, I think "neutral" science is less than fact based, but it still may be a good choice for them, as long as they recognize where the program stands. Does Oak Meadow have K?

• Like 1

From booksharks website, so yeah not exactly complete if you want secular.  However, those topics are typically middle school.

BookShark does not espouse or oppose any faith. Our Science and History programs do not teach evolution, creationism, or intelligent design theory. So BookShark may be better termed faith-neutral. BookShark leaves the teaching of the origins of life and matters of spirituality to the parents rather than promoting any particular viewpoint in the curriculum. Our faith-neutral curriculum allows families from a variety of backgrounds and beliefs to enjoy a well-planned homeschooling year steeped in living literature, read alouds, and hands-on science activities. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Well, I think "neutral" science is less than fact based, but it still may be a good choice for them, as long as they recognize where the program stands. Does Oak Meadow have K?

Not having looked deeply into Oak Meadow, I have the impression that it would be more time-intensive, which I don't think is what they are looking for.

2 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

From booksharks website, so yeah not exactly complete if you want secular.  However, those topics are typically middle school.

BookShark does not espouse or oppose any faith. Our Science and History programs do not teach evolution, creationism, or intelligent design theory. So BookShark may be better termed faith-neutral. BookShark leaves the teaching of the origins of life and matters of spirituality to the parents rather than promoting any particular viewpoint in the curriculum. Our faith-neutral curriculum allows families from a variety of backgrounds and beliefs to enjoy a well-planned homeschooling year steeped in living literature, read alouds, and hands-on science activities. 

I expect they will go back to ps once things settle down, so if the issue is just a matter of leaving this stuff out, it doesn't seem like it would matter at all for 1st grade.

• Like 1