Menu

Traffic Around Washington DC?

JumpyTheFrog

It should be fine.  Most of NoVA and Montgomery County (where 270 is located) are in Phase 2.    I was on 495 yesterday (which was Sunday - so not a good indicator) and it was pretty quiet.   Traffic has definitely picked up on most of the roads I travel, but it is still not at pre-covid levels.

He could plan his drive-through and come either late morning-mid afternoon or after 6:30PM it might be best, just in case. 

That said, I would not consider driving through DC from No.VA (95 or Rt. 66).    When coming to-from No.VA to my home off 270 I never consider going through DC - ever.  I seems like a huge nightmare to get through.   I'd rather deal with traffic on 495 - even in pre-covid rush hour.   The only time it's worth going through DC is if 495 is shut down for some awful accident.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LJPPKGFGSC said:

It is more or less just about back to normal congestion where I drive on Route 95.  Not super-heavy weekend vacation traffic level of congestion as we would normally have in June / July.  But I am not going anywhere during rush hour either.

just listened to the local traffic news and it sounds like you are correct.  IT may not be as bad as the worst days but it sounds like the beltway is back to normal congestion.   

• Like 1

PrincessMommy,

Thanks for that piece of information.  That should help the OP give advice to her relative.

With that said, I would not consider travelling the Beltway to be "around" DC.  If I wanted to actually go around, I might go west somewhere between Richmond and Stafford and head north from there!  I guess it all depends on where you start from and where end up. But I spent too many years driving to work on the Beltway and I would never willingly do that for one more second.  I am lucky to have young drivers in my house who haven't yet gotten weary of that type of traffic!

• Like 1