Menu

Would love feedback on my new blog

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to stay busy. My babies are 17 and don't want me around like they used to. 😞

I've started a new blog -- based on losing 55 lbs. and maintaining for 15 years now -- and would LOVE to hear what you like and don't like about the blog. It's a passion project, so please go easy on me. The maintenance skills are no joke (I'm past menopause -- I had to develop new skills). At the same time, I trust homeschooling parents like no other group.

It was dh who said, "you should write about what you do everyday."

I would love to hear:

• What you like
  • What you could live without
  • Whether you like my writing voice
  • What you think of the pictures

The Inspired Eater

A friend gave me a bunch of Starbucks certificates (not knowing that I don't drink Starbucks). I'd love to send a Starbucks certificate onto you.

Thank you for helping me!

Alley

I just had a quick look.  You might like to think about the settings on your phone/camera.  Your food pictures are coming up quite grainy on my monitor compared, for example to your profile picture.

https://theinspiredeater.com/category/soar-from-the-start/

A more personal comment: I tend to shy away from people who offer 'the one true way' to anything.  So, personally, I'd write with more of a, 'this worked for me, I hope it might be helpful to you' style, rather than

'If you're ready to learn how to navigate our food-wealthy world while maintaining a healthy weight, you're in the sweetest spot. '

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

(hugs) Gently, I did not care for your writing voice, I'm sorry.  I assume you want to appeal to us larger ladies, and calling yourself a Chunky Monkey and us Loser Friends is not very kind.

Also, it has a very "get fixed quick" and "I have all the answers" kind of infomercial vibe, and weight loss is larger and more complex than that. 

Something with a more humble, sincere voice would appeal to me more than your current voice.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

(hugs) Gently, I did not care for your writing voice, I'm sorry.  I assume you want to appeal to us larger ladies, and calling yourself a Chunky Monkey and us Loser Friends is not very kind.

Also, it has a very "get fixed quick" and "I have all the answers" kind of infomercial vibe, and weight loss is larger and more complex than that. 

Something with a more humble, sincere voice would appeal to me more than your current voice.

As a plus size, on the older side woman, I agree with perkybunch.   I also felt you were somewhat scattered - an article that emphasizes intermittent fasting, then one that doesn't mention that at all but talks about snacking, then one on makeup, then one on exercise (or lack of) - and they all felt very superficial, and somewhat arrogant.   There are a ton of fitness blogs out there and claiming to be something new and different and the best does sound very infomercial-ly.  

I don't read a ton of fitness blogs but the ones I like usually are very supportive, have various suggestions since what works will vary from person to person, don't generally have pictures of super skinny fit people who really don't need to work hard, recipes or specific ideas with more details on how to implement them, and a friendly, "we're all in this together" vibe.  

ETA:  I do also really like snarky humor but it has to be friendly snarky not mean snarky.

Edited by Where's Toto?

39 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

First, I am so, so sorry. The Chunky Monkey was a joke between my grandma and me. It never dawned on me how rude it is. Thank you for speaking up!! (I had weight issues for four decades. But I'm not sure what to call it.) I just answered my own Q. I'll call it "weight issues."

The "loser friends" was a joke based on "we're losing weight." But the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. So, again, thank you for telling me.

I'll fix the infomercial vibe too!! On it.

Wow, you could be a blog coach. I'm not kidding. Great feedback. Will you email me and send me your snail? I'm sending your Starbucks, lady!

Seriously, don't think for a moment that I was trying to be horrible -- thank you for speaking up!

A.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

As a plus size, on the older side woman, I agree with perkybunch.   I also felt you were somewhat scattered - an article that emphasizes intermittent fasting, then one that doesn't mention that at all but talks about snacking, then one on makeup, then one on exercise (or lack of) - and they all felt very superficial, and somewhat arrogant.   There are a ton of fitness blogs out there and claiming to be something new and different and the best does sound very infomercial-ly.  

I don't read a ton of fitness blogs but the ones I like usually are very supportive, have various suggestions since what works will vary from person to person, don't generally have pictures of super skinny fit people who really don't need to work hard, recipes or specific ideas with more details on how to implement them, and a friendly, "we're all in this together" vibe.  

ETA:  I do also really like snarky humor but it has to be friendly snarky not mean snarky.

I had no idea I was coming off as arrogant. I'll admit, I think keeping the loss off for 15 years is a big deal. And I probably am too gung-ho.

I didn't mean to be mean-snarky.

Re: the topics are all so different. When a reader signs up for the 10 Best Tips thing, I give my best starting tips. I'm also afraid readers don't want to read six article on intermittent fasting and then ten articles on journaling.

Toto, you and Perky, are the best.

Thank you so very much. I have some work to do.

A.

15 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Seriously, don't think for a moment that I was trying to be horrible -- thank you for speaking up!

I never thought you meant to be horrible.  I know you from this board.  No worries!  

My recommendation for the Starbucks card is to give them out to teenagers you know.  I'm not a Starbucks girl either. 🙂 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I just had a quick look.  You might like to think about the settings on your phone/camera.  Your food pictures are coming up quite grainy on my monitor compared, for example to your profile picture.

https://theinspiredeater.com/category/soar-from-the-start/

A more personal comment: I tend to shy away from people who offer 'the one true way' to anything.  So, personally, I'd write with more of a, 'this worked for me, I hope it might be helpful to you' style, rather than

'If you're ready to learn how to navigate our food-wealthy world while maintaining a healthy weight, you're in the sweetest spot. '

Thank you Laura. I'm probably the last person on the planet who takes bad pictures. I need a class.

And thank you for saying that you don't like "the one true way." I do get a little zealous. Fixing it now.

Thank you!

A.

8 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I never thought you meant to be horrible.  I know you from this board.  No worries!  

My recommendation for the Starbucks card is to give them out to teenagers you know.  I'm not a Starbucks girl either. 🙂 

Thank you. But still, I'm so glad you spoke up!

A.