Menu

Cheesy Potato Soup - any good recipes?

I make baked potato soup with cheese sometimes: just bake some potatoes (duh) and while they're in the oven sautee some onion/garlic in olive oil and butter. When it's soft, I add a handful of flour or two, cook the roux a bit, then add milk. When the potatoes are done, I scoop them out into the soup, adjust the seasoning, adjust the thickness (by soft butter and flour paste), and add sour cream and/or cheese to taste. (Most of the time, I add the sour cream and cheese on top of the bowls, and a splash of wing sauce on mine)

Here's one I make for my family.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped

1-1/2 cups chicken broth

1tsp salt

2-1/2 cups milk

3 tbsp butter, melted

3 tbsp flour

1 tbsp parsley

1tsp pepper

1 cup shredded swiss cheese

In a large saucepan, bring potatoes, carrot, celery, onion, chicken broth and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender. do not drain; mash slightly. Stir in milk

In a small bowl, blend butter, flour, parlsey and pepper; stir into potato mixture. cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.

Remove from heat; add cheese and stir until cheese is almost melted. Let soup stand for 5 minutes.

Potatoe Ham Soup

2 cup water

2 large carrots - peeled and cut up

2 ribs celery - diced

4 large potatoes - peeled and cubed

salt and Pepper

2 bunches green onion ( optional)

1 med onion - chopped

1/2 pound ham

Put above ingredients in pot. Bring to boil and cook 25 mins.

Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup sour cream and 8 oz jar of cheese whiz. (I usually don't have cheese whiz in the house, but it does make it creamy. I mostly use a variety of whatever shredded cheese, mostly some american and some cheddar, ..I keep adding until it looks like thick cheese soup. )

reheat til cheese is melted and serve.

This soup is ultra cheesy and thick/creamy. It is made to mimic O'Charley's soup...but not even really a close match IMO. O'Charley's has the cheese stringy stuff, but this soup is cheesy tasting while being all rich and creamy. It is just TOO good!

3 pounds red potatoes

1/2 cup margarine melted

1/4 cup flour

8 cups half and half

16 ounces of velveeta cheese

White pepper to taste

garlic powder to taste

1 tsp hot pepper sauce

Dice unpeeled red potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in large dutch oven, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for 10 minutes or until 3/4 cooked (THIS IS KEY...DO NOT OVERCOOK THE POTATOES...you will end up with grainy soup. They will finish cooking in the final step below. They should not be quite done when you drain them).

In a seperate dutch oven, combine melted margarine and flour, mixing until smooth. Place over low heat and gradually add half and half, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until smooth and liquid begins to thicken.

Add melted velveeta. Stir well. Drain potatoes and add to cream mixture. Stir in pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce.

Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I also add regular pepper and some salt, and I serve it with buttered Yeast rolls and shredded cheddar cheese. YUMMY!