Menu

Summer Precalc classes?

My nephew had taken precalculus at his local school this school year, but feels he didn't learn it well. He wants to retake it over the summer to be better prepared for Calc 1 his senior year. I am hopeful  you guys can give me some recommendations for any online precalculus classes. I would like to give him some options to look through.

• Like 1

My dds take Derek Owens classes. The precalc one is good I think. Oldest dd did it and then Calc and scored a 5 on the Calc AB exam. It is a long course though, so difficult to do the whole thing over the summer I think, but he could do the tests until he comes across the parts he needs to redo. You only pay for the months you use the course also.

• Like 1

Over the past 7 or 8 years, I seem to recall many mentions   on WTM of Derek Owens Math courses. If my memory is correct, the majority of them were Positive. I would check that out for sure.  The other thing I would do would be to look on Khan Academy. That's Free and my DD used Khan Academy to study for the SAT exam.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, bfw0729 said:

Thank you! I definitely will take a look into this. Are there videos associated to each lesson and do you have access to everything and can navigate through the entire program?

Yes there are videos with each lesson and he does a really good job explaining the concepts. Each lesson also has some videos working through practice problems. You have access to the whole program right from the start. You do have to get the semester exams from him but he responds extremely quickly once you email him for them. I think you just pay monthly fee for the time it takes you to complete the program. I don't know if you have to pay for a minimum amount of months. We have never finished a course super quick so I don't have experience with that.

Thank you for all this information. I have reached out to Derek Owens and someone from his company responded immediately.

TCB, thank you. They have a different fee schedule if he decides to not use the grading option. There was quite a bit of helpful information. I already purchased the book and should be here in a couple of days.

Edited by bfw0729