Menu

Accountability Thread 5/31-6/6

Hard to believe it's going to be June tomorrow. I think the year sort of decided to speed up and get it over with. 

Today's schedule: 

House: cat boxes, laundry, dishes

School: none-off for three weeks, and I already wrote down where we stopped, so we'll just pick up there and add summer subjects

Cooking: taco meat, chips, possibly a lemon pound cake with blueberry sauce, put up rest of blueberries and see if we are able to pick tomorrow or Tuesday. Stocking up the freezer and eating fresh berries. Blackberries will be soon.

Writing: 3000 words in draft, Beta reading, personal reading

Extra: set out the last of the tomatoes as they are big enough for transplant now, and mulch. That should be it. The rest of garden stuff is working to get the front flower beds in order for perennial plants and bulbs in fall and maintaining and watering the everything else. 

• Like 1

Morning! It's the first day of break!

Chores: cat boxes, laundry, dishes, bed, bath, put up rest of blueberries, schedule more picking, lake today

School: none (I dreamed I was teaching the boys typing, though, and someone got me this long metal rod with a finger on it that I was supposed to use to guide their fingers. LOL)

Cooking: leftovers

Writing: 2000 words in draft, Beta reading, personal reading, schedule a few things to go out. Draft a few queries to send out.

• Like 1

Morning. Second day of break. I'm enjoying not having to do much other than chores and writing. But I do need to get some planting done either tonight or tomorrow. I've hurt my back somehow, and trying to work that out, so possibly tomorrow.

Today's goals: 

House: cat boxes, dishes, laundry

School: none

Cooking: Chicken soup, I think. Maybe a cake of some kind.

Writing: 2,000 words in draft, Beta reading, personal reading, maybe a query letter. Haven't decided yet.

• Like 1

Morning! Chance of rain today. We'll see.

Today's goals:

House: cat boxes, laundry, dishes, some cleaning--just haven't decided what yet.

Cooking: pizza

Writing: 2,000 words of draft, Beta reading, Beta sheet for a CP, Personal reading, get some stuff off for CPs, decide if I'm pitching in a contest tomorrow or just cheering and waving pompoms.

• Like 1

Today was migraine survival 😉 .   I had a zoom meeting & didn't throw up once during it, which was great for making an okay impression!  and am beginning to recover.  Boys played a lot of Minecraft, with a lot of Legos, younger read a ton, we dabbled in math and did an oral review of our (very basic) French. 

Tomorrow kicks off with very early orthodontist appt. for younger, online "fun" summer class for elder + elder is planning to go on a bike ride with DH and, socially-distanced, one of DH's friends and his two daughters. 

So we're hangin' in there. 

• Like 1

Morning. Continuing break, and working on planning a quiet trip to a river on a day when nobody else will hopefully be there. Maybe next Wednesday.

Today's tasks: 

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, sweeping, mopping house

Cooking: bacon, eggs, sausage, toast (make sandwich for tomorrow for me)

Writing: 2000 words in draft, Beta reading, personal reading, pitch things today. Also a query. That's good enough.

• Like 1

A good morning to you! 

@Critterfixer: you are going for the pitch, yes?  Hoping all goes well with that & with everything else, too.  I'll do some cheering: I'm so, so glad and a bit in awe that you are keeping writing, setting & working toward those goals, despite the rather unusual times. 

Today:  So far, hit the points I wrote about yesterday.  Need to do school with younger today, focus on language arts + history?  Memory work?  argh.  here's a draft for today:

1. plenty of yoga, "ballet", aerobics for me esp. to help prevent more migraines which are a huge waste of time
  2. Spend 15" drafting minimal June school + fun goals for boys: include maths, history reading, literature reading?, art, and memory work for school.  For fun, get our balance thingy up in the yard, plan time to do Kiwi crates with younger, find books for both, other ideas. 
  3. 15" quick-list of school for July - December (prep for Saturday planning seminar -- free!!!)
  4. 15" quick-list of school for January - September (prepping as above)
  5. 30 - 60" RPG work.  Start with short list and do the boring stuff first: As list, review quickstart
  6. write note to A
  7. work on D&D fun characters with younger
  8. do housework: Flylady + few rounds of cleaning.
  9. dinner: chicken fingers, salad, baked apples.
  10. extra credit: have time to do walks with boys after dinner.  Make time to catch up with boys.
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Actually, no! I sat out this pitch contest. We had a number of Black writers participating today, and I just took the day off to retweet their work as much as I could today. It was a lot of fun! There will be other pitch contests later this year, including one next month, and there's a little contest I plan to enter this weekend, AND I have three full manuscript requests out and a partial, and other queries pending. I've got enough going on for me!

And one of my friends from the last contest got a ton of agent requests and some editor requests, and I'm just so happy for him I could burst. So a really good day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Actually, no! I sat out this pitch contest. We had a number of Black writers participating today, and I just took the day off to retweet their work as much as I could today. It was a lot of fun! There will be other pitch contests later this year, including one next month, and there's a little contest I plan to enter this weekend, AND I have three full manuscript requests out and a partial, and other queries pending. I've got enough going on for me!

And one of my friends from the last contest got a ton of agent requests and some editor requests, and I'm just so happy for him I could burst. So a really good day.

This wonderful -- 🙂  for focusing energy & attention the Black writers' work!  I am cheering like mad, now. 

I loved this Guardian article on N.K. Jemison's work and her experiences getting published &c.   Esp. got a kick out of her take on Lovecraft, since folks -- including PoC -- in our gaming group really enjoy the Cthulhu stories but all agree that the racial stuff in those books is, well, what it is. 

• Like 1

Afternoon!  Today is mellow-ish.  Main challenge is to ensure boys do some school (math for elder, history + math OR LA for younger); piano; fitness all around.  Me: work on RPG, house, exercise, be mellow.  Dinner: chicken wings done somehow; veggies galore; something sweet? not sure what, or if dessert will happen. 

ETA: today's been even mellower than expected, which has been wonderful.  I feel like, for the first time since the pandemic broke, I can actually think a little.

Have winnowed our June school goals down to: wrap up elder's Artistic Pursuits, if feasible; keep elder's toes in his math; wrap up younger's spelling, if feasible; keep younger moving forward in math; move both boys through the rest of SoTW 3 + reading.

And do some of the art + music stuff I'd planned. 

Be ready to pick up modern history / a year of 1/2 chem + 1/2 physics in July.  Spend June prepping, organizing books into a "box day" -- a good chunk of which will come from stuff I already have 😉 .  We'll keep history WTM-style but I need to have specific weekly goals or lesson plans, which I can triage so that they only work for a set time each week + I can adjust that time.  Same for science, I suppose.  The rest of school is pretty much dictated as do-the-next step with the addition of reading lists and a bit of rounding out. 

• Like 1

Morning! 

Today: migraine prevention protocol x3; work on campaign, on RPG rules, and on next session; work on school plans for June and for July-Dec term; think about younger's birthday later this month; clean house; fitness; work outside; read. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:37 PM, serendipitous journey said:

This wonderful -- 🙂  for focusing energy & attention the Black writers' work!  I am cheering like mad, now. 

I loved this Guardian article on N.K. Jemison's work and her experiences getting published &c.   Esp. got a kick out of her take on Lovecraft, since folks -- including PoC -- in our gaming group really enjoy the Cthulhu stories but all agree that the racial stuff in those books is, well, what it is. 

Her work is really very good. Prose is awesome, but the content is really dark, at least with The Fifth Season. I will come back to that series when I can emotionally take it. I haven't read any Lovecraft, actually. 

Publishing is hard for everyone, but yes, it's an uphill battle for Black writers in every way--I hope they keep the hashtag for Black writers pitching from now on. 

Rest for me this afternoon. I worked Friday and Saturday, and I'm worn out. But I have some writing to do, and I'm hoping to turn in early tonight and catch up on my sleep.

• Like 1

Making Sunday, weekly notes here. 

Today: School (GSWFrench, Bible, Shakespeare); enrichment (art, piano).  RPG (work on rules, campaign, next session + getting maps/drawings up via Zoom); school planning (June school, next term); migraine prevention 3x; fitness (boys, me); dinner (quick, veggies, maybe tomato soup); housework; garden work.  Something just fun. 

Week's goals: finish June plans (!!!), have strong game on Monday (have rules mainly under my belt, mark A's suggested lists/pages, have good understanding of & control of the campaign -- NOT controlling the players or the story!  just the space I present them, so it is consistent + rich + fun, maintain sense of where this encounter should "end" and keep us on target for that), engage Victorian garden so can plant next week (better late than never), focus on planning my RPG, my school, bringing order & grace to home & garden, and joy. 

• Like 1