Menu

http://arteslatinae.com/ - thoughts?

Kate CA

I was working a booth at a homeschool fair last year and was next to the rep for this company. So I spent two days talking to her a lot and looking at her materials.

It isn't for the young elementary student. I believe she said 3rd or 4th grade to start. And the FAQ's say they need to be on a 5th grade reading level to start.

However, they had tons of latin resources. Latin storybooks(like suess!) and latin prayer books and latin everything! I was impressed with how many resources they had for reading Latin in a variety of styles(and not just the lessons).

But again, this wasn't for the young student. I went looking for the papers I have on it, and I had written high school possibility on the side to remind myself why I kept the papers ;)

I did like how it had 3 different pronounciations in the program. And I have never seen such a large amount of Latin readers and games.

Hi Kate,

I was going to use ArtLat before I knew I could beta test CAP's new Upper School Latin. I think it looks like a very thorough self-teaching Latin program. I can't believe the booth worker told Tess 3rd or 4th grade to start with it, that seems to be a stretch to me as Tess said.

I think the reason why you don't see it discussed much is because it is $$$.

Hi Kate,

I was going to use ArtLat before I knew I could beta test CAP's new Upper School Latin. I think it looks like a very thorough self-teaching Latin program. I can't believe the booth worker told Tess 3rd or 4th grade to start with it, that seems to be a stretch to me as Tess said.

I think the reason why you don't see it discussed much is because it is $$$.

So you were going to use it - what made you decide to use it in the first place? What about it drew you to the program? I understand you didn't, but am curious as to why you originally chose it. :)

It may come for review and I am trying to see if it would be something I would like to do. :)

Warmly,

Kate

So you were going to use it - what made you decide to use it in the first place? What about it drew you to the program?

Warmly,

Kate

The reason why I looked at it in the first place was because Harvey Bluedorn recommends it. One thing that appealed to me greatly was that it is self-teaching, last year around this time I was really thinking I am the biggest stumbling block for our home school and I wanted to take myself out of the way if possible. :o Also, my two older boys do Latin together and they could work at their own pace. I like that all of the basic sentences for reading/translating are taken from classical or medieval sources. Ben & Zach like computer based subjects. I like that the audio is included on the program, when the student reads a sentence in Latin the can click on the audio icon to hear proper pronunciation. That's all I can remember.

Have you seen a sample?

The reason why I looked at it in the first place was because Harvey Bluedorn recommends it. One thing that appealed to me greatly was that it is self-teaching, last year around this time I was really thinking I am the biggest stumbling block for our home school and I wanted to take myself out of the way if possible. :o Also, my two older boys do Latin together and they could work at their own pace. I like that all of the basic sentences for reading/translating are taken from classical or medieval sources. Ben & Zach like computer based subjects. I like that the audio is included on the program, when the student reads a sentence in Latin the can click on the audio icon to hear proper pronunciation. That's all I can remember.

Have you seen a sample?

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I am really struggling with which Latin to go with. We have Latina Christiana and have used it a bit, but I don't know that I really love it. I am also not entirely sure it is all that thorough. I guess I just want the most bang for the buck, you know?

What you mentioned is really helpful to me. Do you like the program you decided to go with? Pros/cons? You are so helpful. :)

Warmly,

Kate

Yes, I like it very much. It could be self-teaching to a motivated student, but we are studying it together. I'm glad I didn't give up on Latin for myself. I hope they post the samples soon for Upper School Latin, I've seen them and they look great. The documents we use for beta testing are pretty plain.

Have you seen a sample?

I tried the sample when this thread just started, and kiddo was repeating the phrases faster than I was. He didn't think he was paying the least attention, but was spinning around in the room with his crepe-paper trailers glued to a paperplate dragon and didn't miss a syllable. Sure caught my eye (ear)!

Appears to be 233$ for one year of highschool latin. They don't make the prices easy to get to!

Have you seen a sample?

Oh, I totally dig the sample. Thanks. I think we will be doing this. :)

Kate