Menu

Video series for Middle Ages/ Renaissance to the Reformation

ByGrace3

I am trying to decide if I am going to piece together history for my rising 8th grader or use Omnibus 2. My ds did Omni 1 this year and it was good. Not amazing (the books were just hard), but ds really likes the set up of videos, quizzes, and being independent. I love the Omni text -- the questions, the critical thinking, the writing assignments. I was considering putting together a History plan that I can just incorporate the Omni texts and assignments . . . I would love something all planned out, but I am ok doing the work. I need a history text with a video series to accomplish this. Any suggestions? (he is requesting to do Omnibus again because of the videos-- and I still may-- but I would like to know what other options there are). Thank you! 

I am not sure if this will fit the bill, but I thought I'd share anyway to bump your thread.

I have *not* watched this, but I found these when I was doing research for our Medieval year next year.  FYI. It is free. 

I know there are some TGC (The Great Courses) that people have mentioned, so hopefully one of those boardies will chime in.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/course/history-of-the-middle-ages/#overview

P.S. if my kids like something well enough to request it again (which has never, ever happened that I know of!), I would be strongly inclined to use that unless there was some financial hurdle.  😃

Edited by cintinative

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I am not sure if this will fit the bill, but I thought I'd share anyway to bump your thread.

I have *not* watched this, but I found these when I was doing research for our Medieval year next year.  FYI. It is free. 

I know there are some TGC that people have mentioned, so hopefully one of those boardies will chime in.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/course/history-of-the-middle-ages/#overview

P.S. if my kids like something well enough to request it again (which has never, ever happened that I know of!), I would be strongly inclined to use that unless there was some financial hurdle.  😃

Thank you! I will dig into that a bit. If my son "requested" it because he really enjoyed the course, I would figure out how to make it happen . . . however, that is not quite it. He said he likes primary better than secondary, but didn't really have an affinity for either. It was heavy and difficult but he didn't really complain about it either. . . he just preferred videos to a text  . . . .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

I considered that, but would it be too much for an 8th grader? I thought it was a staunchly high school only endeavor?

Omnibus is for high school credit, and Omnibus 1 has some heavy texts.  So I wouldn't skip it for that reason.  There are some free videos you can watch on Youtube (linked on their site) so that could give you an idea of what the teaching component is like.

• Like 1

Following.  I've had my rising 7th grader doing VP self-paced, but he has really outgrown it.  The only reason I would keep him in it is to do middle ages as a video course.  It is the one time period that we have not focused on.  I wish there was something a little more mature and challenging but not TOO much more.