Menu

How to rectify this math issue? (computer game?)

Janeway

Daughter did charter school which used what they called Singapore Math. It was Math in Focus. At home, we used Singapore Math, US edition. We started at level 2B. She basically knew the stuff from 2A, but, was not strong on it. So I decided to give her a test. On it, the things she could not answer were things she would have covered at the charter school. The stuff from 2B, she knew very well. So for example, she did great with a problem that said something like 3 children brought home 4 pieces of candy. They each ate one and gave the rest to their mom. But she could not do a problem like, Milo ate three Legos off the floor, then he ate 6 Legos, and then he ate 5 Legos (Milo is the dog). How many did he eat? The problems that were complex and multi step, like what was in 2B, she did great on. The stuff that had content she should have covered before 2B, she did not. I suspect it is largely a lack of being able to add quickly. All the addition problems were basically single digit so maybe all she needs is math fact review. It would be great if there were a fun math computer game that would get her inspired to learn more. She is really giving me grief whenever anything looks like school work so I am suspecting a workbook would not be the way to go. The other is maybe just make her sit and do math fact cards. I am not sure. I do feel like shouting "see!!!! all that excess homework that is killing the children's spirits did little for them academically!!!" on my FB page, but I suspect my several friends on my page who still have their children there might end their friendships with me. So I guess this post is also part vent. She had so much homework. That school was grueling. And it did not get her to be advanced.

edited to add: I did find out she never used any sort of manipulatives in the second grade and they would get yelled and punished if they were caught counting on their fingers. I think this is part of the problem.

Edited by Janeway

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I did find out she never used any sort of manipulatives in the second grade and they would get yelled and punished if they were caught counting on their fingers. I think this is part of the problem.

Do you have some manipulatives that she could just play around with now? Just in a no-pressure way for a while then let her grab them whenever she wants for help with math?

Also I know you said computer, but for one of my kids the "Addition Facts That Stick " book was so helpful for her to visualize and eventually memorize the facts. You could even do just the game part for right now without the worksheets. 

• Like 1