Menu

My Fun Science or BJU Math

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Avoid BJU, if you can. We have tried it for 4 different kids and it has bombed each time. Why? Becasue it is terribly written with not enough review, unless you create it yourself, and terrible explanations. The videos are too long. The tests are frustrating. Read reviews-- they are true. The tests and quizzes ask things the kids haven't even learned yet. If it is your kid's first pass through, they will be lost. 

My advice is stay the course with CLE. It is self-teaching, right? Math, like any skill, needs teaching.

What about Saxon? Loads of distance learning options. This is what we went to after the BJU disaster. Smooth sailing ever si  nce.

Thanks for your thoughts on BJU. Very helpful. 
I don’t like Saxon. We’ve crashed and burned twice with that. 
I’m hopeful the MFS class might be good.

BJU updated their math sequence a few years ago, and when they did it was this HUGE jump. The net effect honestly is that it's not in reach for a fair number of kids. I'm not saying a percentage, but I'm just saying it was a huge jump. So I think look at the samples of the textbooks. I agree, that if a student is going to struggle with the BJU middle school and high school math texts, having the video lessons won't change that. The people I've known, say teaching ADHD kids, who tried to use the new editions thinking those would make a difference with the videos, didn't find that to be the case. 

So I like BJU math conceptually for what it is, but it just was not worth the slog with my very ADHD dd. I eventually put her in MUS and it was fine. It might be option for you. I'm not saying it's super stellar math or equivalent to doing BJU or Dolciani, etc. However it's good enough for the average situation and is doable. One thing it did very well for my dd was to help her learn to monitor her comprehension with independent learning. She would watch the video, realize she hadn't understood it, and rewind. I HIGHLY recommend prioritizing that skill for your students. For many students, learning how to learn is actually the bigger lesson. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1