Menu

Kitten training advice needed

skimomma

We have a one year old kitten.  My dd would like to leash train her so she can go outside.  We have done this with other cats in the past and it has always created a big problem that I'd like to avoid with this one.  Once they experience the outdoors, they become obsessed and we have to deal with cats that try to escape every time a door is opened.  We have one door that is used most frequently and is easy for a cat to escape through.  This kitty is quite skittish.  If she escapes, I think she could scare easily and it would be really hard to catch/find her.  We also live within blocks of a busy highway.

We have been brainstorming ideas.  The most obvious thing we can think of is to only take her in and out through the door that is the most difficult to escape through in hopes that she would not associate the joy of the outdoors with the door that is the biggest problem.  I am pretty sure cats are too smart for this to actually work.  Anyone know?  The next degree of measures we thought of was to have her always go in a cat carrier that we carry outdoors.  Again, the hope is that she would not associate ANY door with the joy of the outdoors.  And again, I am guessing cats are too smart for this.

Anyone BTDT or have other ideas?

I don't have any advice either. A few years ago I tried to harness train two of our cats. They were petrified whenever I took them outdoors and one slipped her harness and ran back to the door anxious to get in. So we got the opposite effect. Those two cats have never tried to get outside after their forays into the wilderness. LOL

• Like 2