Menu

Things to work on in this season

We are home more than we ever have been. So I was thinking of what would be some good things to focus on for ds, 8 yo.

What are you all doing with more time at home? 

Cooking- he already makes all kinds of eggs, but I want him to learn to make pancakes (from scratch), fried chicken, ground hamburger, use a knife 

Chores- dishes, vacuum, fold laundry, mop. He has learned these already, but he still needs work on these skills. Tie his shoes and pants

Drawing- he really needs work on drawing and not giving up 

Learning some hymns on the piano

Academic- cursive, maybe CAT testing, finish up some subjects for the year, work on some sort of writing project, some sort of history project. 

More stamina in personal reading

I am also going to need to figure out ways to add some movement each day and sensory input. I figure doing a lot of chores will be good for his body. But he will need more. 

Edited by lulalu
  • Like 1

For the sensory, I've gotten really blatant with my ds. I have him doing farmer carry, bicep curls, and squats with weights. I just taught him to do an Arnold push press last night. It's not too hard. Give him something he can grip easily like water bottles and let him work up. 

I like your idea on cooking. You might make a list of snack foods he'd like to be able to make for himself and work through those. Peanut butter on banana slices, that kind of thing. My ds enjoys helping prep salad. I focused on the toaster oven with my ds, because it's very small and freeing. I got him silicone coated tongs, so he can pull things out without anxiety. Also the door is magnetic and pulls the rack out when you open. 

Have you thought about leisure skills? My ds at 8 was all about the legos, haha. Whittling, spool knitting, basic hand sewing.                                             Sewing School ®: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make                                      Here's the Sewing School 1 book, which is by hand. My copy just came today. My ds has so many delays, I think at age 11 it will be within reach. But yeah, I would think most 8 yo would enjoy it, and the projects seemed friendly to boys.

How to Draw 101 Animals                                       This is what we've been using. Each task is in 6 steps, so I keep trying to get ds to slow down and not just jump to the end impulsively. Yes, frustration tolerance is an issue. Breaking it into steps can help. Also maybe pair it with good things and have movement breaks before/after to put him in a good place. My ds had had lots of OT but his VMI (visual motor integration) was bunk. So his fine motor was testing as fine but the ability to get it from eyeballs, through the brain, and motor plan it out, wasn't in place. Drawing, coding, anything where they take it in with their eyes and motor plan it out can help. If it's frustration tolerance only, then maybe approach that other ways? Like teach mindfulness, body scans, self-awareness, self-regulation strategies. You could even do a body scan and some mindfulness BEFORE the drawing to see if you can up that EF and self-control a bit to hold it together. Or pick a different activity besides drawing to work on frustration tolerance.

How is he with games? Games are a leisure skill, how we make friends, so learning some games can be a good use of time. I try to make sure my ds can play games with a variety of ages of people, not just age mates. So he can learn games *adults* will enjoy playing with him. Adults will play rummy and that can mature into Canasta. I want to teach him back gammon and haven't gotten it done. My dad always played cribbage with us. Adults like dominoes and there are lots of variants on dominoes.  So then he can walk in with seniors and do something with them they'll enjoy.

How is your dh doing?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas! His drawing frustration is a combination of wanting it to be perfect, and fine motor skills. He took a long time to get handwriting down. We worked a lot on proper pencil holding, and fine motor skills. His handwriting is now legible! A year ago I never thought I would say that! But drawing is a struggle. He has a desire to learn, but gives up when it isn't perfect. So I figure now is the time to take the time. I will try some of your ideas. And look at the drawing book. Thanks. 

School is pretty much normal for us - I already have nearly everything I was planning to use next year, so we’ll just keep going for however long we’re stuck at home.

I did use this as an opportunity to establish official chores. Mostly it’s stuff DS was doing anyway, but it’s helped us consistently get around to some of the more infrequent tasks & has increased everyone’s accountability. 

I picked up some more art supplies. DS’ interest in hand-sewing has rekindled, so he is working on completing a stuffie project. He’s been pleasure reading during his quiet times (60min on weekdays, 90min on weekends). We’re playing tabletop games. He’s slowly chipping away at Scouting achievements even though he already completed rank requirements. Other that that... he is playing an absurd amount of video games & watching Star Wars cartoons with DH 🤷🏻‍♀️.

I’m unbothered. We’re in a crisis situation; I’m not pushing anyone - myself included.

• Like 2

On April 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM, lulalu said:

No energy at all. Just walking to the bathroom is too much activity for him. 

Oh my, is it possible it has turned to pneumonia in him?? That's how I feel when I have pneumonia and they're saying this bug goes to a viral pneumonia. Do you have a pulse oximeter to check his O2?

22 hours ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

Star Wars cartoons

Haha, maybe that's what ds needs! He's looking for a new thing to obsess over, lol.

22 hours ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

DS’ interest in hand-sewing has rekindled, so he is working on completing a stuffie project.

Yes! I was pleasantly surprised at how ds took to his little camo sewing box, hehe. I got him started with the Sewing School lessons and he sewed his first seem yesterday. I'm hoping we can try buttons tomorrow. :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:33 AM, PeterPan said:

Oh my, is it possible it has turned to pneumonia in him?? That's how I feel when I have pneumonia and they're saying this bug goes to a viral pneumonia. Do you have a pulse oximeter to check his O2?

nm

Edited by lulalu
  • Like 1