Menu

What's with the ads?

Quill

If you usually do Easter baskets, what are you doing?

7 hours ago, Quill said:

Yeah, my kids are old, too, so at least there isn’t any issue of, “why did the Easter Bunny forget us?” We don’t have that problem. But with them being home all the time I felt like I want it to be something special. Though I really don’t want to go out just for candy. Hmm. 

Is there something else you could put in there that you don't have to go out for?  Itunes gift certificates you buy online and print out?  Xbox certificates?  Maybe with some homemade baked goods?  

Or, if you have plastic eggs, could you fill them with little love notes, maybe reminders why you think they're awesome?  

The one thing I didn't get was Easter egg dye.  I didn't know how important dying eggs was to my kids until it was too late to order.  Our plan is that we're going to try dying with natural things (onion skins etc . . . ) tomorrow or Friday, and then if that doesn't work, I've got some egg dye coming, and we'll dye again in time for Orthodox Easter.  We aren't Orthodox, but my kids have no qualms about celebrating holidays that aren't ours.   Similarly, I got little things for 2/3 kids eggs, and if the 3rd doesn't come in time, he'll get an IOU. Our disorganized tooth fairy left IOU's all the time, so even if my kids do believe in the Easter Bunny (I'm pretty sure they don't, but they pretend that they do), they're used to IOU's from magical beings.  

• Like 1

I bought DD's stuff several weeks ago at Walmart/Target when I went out for groceries. I overbought and spent too much because I shopped in haste (and the sales were lamentable). I just wanted the stress of it gone. I didn't know what the weeks ahead would bring. We reuse baskets, grass, etc. every year, so I only had to buy the fillers.

4 hours ago, kand said:

Pretty much exactly the same here. I didn’t go out for anything, but fortunately was able to get a few things when I made orders online from Target and Amazon a few weeks ago. I have to see if we have any food coloring or anything we can use to color eggs. That was the one item that didn’t end up coming with my delivery. It was back ordered or something, and I’m going to end up getting it after Easter. Oh! I just remembered we have a gingerbread house kit that was an extra someone gave us at Christmas that we didn’t use. I think I will pull that out for them to do on Easter.

does anyone know if gel food coloring works for dying eggs? I know I have that, and I’m thinking I could dissolve it in some boiling water and add vinegar and it would work just the same, wouldn’t it?

Yes, you can use gel food coloring instead of liquid.  The proportions of water and vinegar are the same for both.  You can also use, Kool-Aid powder, coffee, tea, onion skins or beets.  If you don't have any of those items you can use crayons or non-toxic markers.  Colored pencils also work if you don't press too hard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Quill said:

Now that is an excellant idea. That is something I can do that would be special and not require shopping. 

We are baking cut out cookies on Friday! 

• Thanks 1

I have college kids, but they lucked out because I had to go to the grocery today, lol. 

If we didn't have candy, we'd probably have a baking session. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherry in OH said:

Yes, you can use gel food coloring instead of liquid.  The proportions of water and vinegar are the same for both.  You can also use, Kool-Aid powder, coffee, tea, onion skins or beets.  If you don't have any of those items you can use crayons or non-toxic markers.  Colored pencils also work if you don't press too hard.

Spinach will make green! 

White crayons will resist the coloring and make a nice pattern.

Ugh. I’m soooo glad my kids are grown and I won’t have disappointed little guys. I got a variety bag of candy at Costco yesterday and I’ll make lamb. We just watched the weird socially distant THURSDAY service from Rome. If DS wants to color eggs, we’ll do food coloring and vinegar. 

Dd is still at school and alone in her apartment. I’m just going to ask her for ideas since we won’t be with her for the first time ever at Easter.