Menu

Online resources for helping a kid at a distance

Does anyone have any suggestions for working over Skype with a ten-year-old with delayed skills in math and reading (second grade on math maybe and close to third grade on reading). I'm not much of an online learning fan, so I'm not really up on this stuff. He is a very visual child. So far, I have made bingo charts for him to print out, so we play addition and phonics bingo. We also read together, him with a physical copy of a book and me with an electronic version.

I'm a huge fan of Ronit Bird materials for math. She has pdfs of the games on her website, so you can buy the ebooks (inexpensive) or even download one of her free card games ebooks and then play the games together, with each of you printing your boards. 

If you google for games for 100 boards, you'll probably find stuff. Then you just have him print a 100 board and play the games with you. I have a whole book of them and come to think of it that book is available as an ebook.

Hundred Number Board Activities Resource Book Grade 2-3 ...www.carsondellosa.com › Shop All

Lakeshore Learning has "bar models" kits that are wonderful. Each grade leveled box has the four functions and then multistep, with 12 cards in each section. They include extraneous data and use grade leveled, straightforward language, stepped instruction, and small work amounts that work well for my ds with his language challenges. It's just enough to make him think. Given where your student is functioning, I would probably try the gr2 kit. Or just make something similar yourself, but honestly I roll in the realm of idiot proof. My ds does best with small chunks, so doing 3 problems and then taking a break works for him. We also, ahem, are working on calculator use. Maybe you don't want to do that yet, but it's another thing to begin considering. It allows you to work at multiple levels, because you can do that intervention level, Ronit Bird type work on the facts while coming in with more complicated (age typical) word problems that he can do. Using a calculator, dealing with the fine motor, knowing the order to push the buttons, knowing when he got a reasonable or unreasonable answer, etcl, these are important skills. It's allowing my ds to decide when it's just as fast to do it himself, and he got over that hump, ironically, by being given access to the calculator.

I'd link you to the Lakeshore kits, but their website doesn't work on my aging browser, sigh. So just dig in and you'll find amazing stuff. I'm using some of their hands-on phonics kits with my ds too. We sort of dropped the whole spelling thing because it wasn't clicking for him before. The kits have given us a visual way to go back and work on spelling. Spelfabet is also terrific and very affordable. They have a free game you can download. https://www.spelfabet.com.au/2019/06/new-word-building-card-games/  Then you could each have a set and work together.

• Like 1

I've been using Explain Everything with some of my students. It's a virtual whiteboard, and two people can use it simultaneously. It's fantastic, and free for educators. Your student just needs a touchscreen device (iPad, laptop with touchscreen, etc). I highly recommend it!

• Like 1