Menu

What do you use for Grammar ?

inashoe

I started using R&S grammar with a 3rd grader and 5th grader. I started each in the book for their grade. The only problem was that the 5th grader had not had much grammar experience. It took me 2 years to complete the 5th grade book with him and a year and a half to complete the 3rd grade book. I should have started them both in the 3rd grade book. Is that an option for you?

Ultimately we switched to CLE Language Arts and have been using it for the last 3 years.

Jennie

If you want only grammar, then my recommendation is Easy Grammar. If you also want composition, then you're looking at something like Rod and Staff, or BJUP, or Shurley English.

I prefer doing grammar, then something else for writing. Easy Grammar was our favorite.

We are using Growing with Grammar 3 for the first time this year. We tried R&S last year and it would literally bring tears to my ds's eyes. He still does not LIKE grammar - but he doesn't mind using GWG. It's secular and has lots of build in repetition. We are using it 3x a week and it never takes longer than 15 minutes. Best of all - my son REMEMBERS what he has learned!

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I just finished researching grammar choices for our ds's.

We are beginning our third week of GWG for our 11yo and are very pleased.

• clear, no-fluff presentation
  • just the right amount of practice (thorough, but not over-kill)
  • workbook (no copying)
  • (mostly) independent (He reads the lesson aloud to me and once I'm sure he understands the concept, he's off to do his written work.)

For our 8yo, we chose FLL for many of the same reasons. The exception would be independent learning, but he needs the one-on-one.

If you are musical, try putting lists to melodies you already know. We *always* sing our State of Being verbs to a song I heard on "Between the Lions" one time. After three years I really, truly can't even type the phrase "State of Being" without that blasted song coming to mind - LOL! It works!!

I also use the Schoolhouse Rock videos alot for definitions of parts of speech and things like "questions that adverbs answer" kind of thing (yeah - we changed the words a bit, but it still works).