Menu

Seeking containment and entertainment ideas for extremely active 7 month old

Oh the days of just strapping him into a bouncy seat while we did our work. They are history now. Since learning to crawl and beginning to pull up, our boy is into anything and everything he can get his hands into. He seems to be drawn by some invisible force towards anything he's not supposed to play with. And, of course, he balks like a banshee at any form of restraint.

I am trying to find something that will give him space, but will keep him safely contained. I've looked at this larger pack n play and this gated fence online. Has anyone used either of these successfully? Can you please offer any words of advice regarding other possibilities? We are having great difficulties getting anything accomplished school-wise due to these new developments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go for the Graco. I had one of those and it was great! I also had the other style that you linked to, but I secured it around the tv/stand to keep my little one away from it!

My dd was a very active baby and I also had to make sure she wouldn't be trampled by her older brother and our big dog! I had a playpen on the first and second levels of our home as well as a "bottomless" playyard in the basement. (I took a quick look on the internet to see if they still make the one we used...it had about 5 sections of brightly colored gates that also had built-in toys. It was great (and I wish I could remember the brand name)...and I thought it was sturdier than the one you linked to.)

Anyway, I vote for the Graco. And you have my permission to buy more than one!

I have that PnP! Love it love it love it. Nine square feet of heaven, until they can climb out. I like that you can let them sleep in the PnP, instead of on the floor. Then you can gate your ds in his room with all of his toys (assuming you don't have stairs).

I need to think back on all the toys we used to use for that age. The stacking musical stars were a big hit with my first three, but I don't know if the bg noise will be a distraction to you and your dc.

I think we are going to go for the pack n play for now and look into some of the other ideas for later. I wish they made toys that convincingly looked like remote controls, cameras, telephones....these are the only things he seems determined to play with for now. :) So very busy. I don't remember dd being this way at this age, but my memory often fails me.

Thanks again!

Dawn

Not a play yard, but one thing that kept my youngest happy was a Johnny Jump Up. Do you have one of those? They're great exercise, and it wears them out! We'd just hook her up to the doorway between the dining room (our school room) and living room, and she'd jump and squeal for a good 20-30 minutes, which was enough time for a quick phonics or math lesson.

I miss having babies in the house.

I think we are going to go for the pack n play for now and look into some of the other ideas for later. I wish they made toys that convincingly looked like remote controls, cameras, telephones....these are the only things he seems determined to play with for now. :) So very busy. I don't remember dd being this way at this age, but my memory often fails me.

Thanks again!

Dawn

Go to the thrift store. Get him an old remote with no batteries in it. Maybe a telephone too (but not something with a cord that he could strangle himself with!) Make sure you wipe them down really well with disinfectant wipes (do they work well enough?).