Menu

Accountability Thread 3/22-3/28

Morning. It's raining. Again. My yard is turning into a swamp, and the only happy plant is the cypress tree. But hopefully the trees will start leafing out soon and deal with all this extra water. I'm still coughing quite a bit, and tired, but no fever, and I'm slowly starting to feel better physically. 

Today's goals:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes

School: schedules (done)

Cooking: pot roast, steamed cauliflower, mashed potatoes and gravy. Possibly a pudding for dessert. Oven is still in use so I'm not baking much right now.

Writing: personal reading, start revisions on two novels today...I really need the distraction, and I might even add draft a new story to that depending on how much distraction I need. 

Extra: I have a painting to finish, and I want to sketch landscapes today.

• Like 2

Morning! (but almost not anymore :

Oh, my, you know, just ... stuff.  Plenty of stuff to go around.  I am so barely functional, it seems! 

We've gotten up and at'em, knocked out some science, some exercise, some piano, some outdoor work & play.  Today it would be great to get the boys' weekly schedules done & printed; exercise plenty for me; PM exercise for them; start getting plants in ground; work on how to transplant a couple of potted plants; do some history, some minimal language work --  by the end of this week I want to see us wrap up the current "week" of work from last week -- and clean house, esp. 'fridge.  Tonight's dinner is simple souffles, tomato soup, salad/fresh veggies.  Story for boys tonight. 

Have to go to the city tomorrow AM, so tonight I need to get stuff ready for early start, find a likely gas station so I can use the restroom before I arrive (there mayn't be "facilities") and straighten out some independent work for children to do while I'm gone. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning! Up and at it.

Today's schedule:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, bed, bath

School: usual, boys are already started

Cooking: Leftovers

Writing: Beta read, personal reading, blog post. Continue character work, start revisions on two novels today, drafting a bit in another. 

Art: Work on painting project, and I've got something new I want to work on.

Edited by Critterfixer

Afternoon! 

Back from my trip to the city, decontaminated, just finished lunch and it is 3 PM.  !!! 

Today: get outside; renormalize house after my AM away, check boys' schoolwork; exercise all around; prep for tomorrow.  Game night tonight, online naturally, we may be able to get take-out for dinner.  ETA: looks like nix on dinner out, too much $$ right now, so we'll have yesterday's menu of souffle/soup/salad: yesterday got desperate and I pulled out a frozen pizza instead.  

• Like 1

Morning. I think we might see the sun today, but you wouldn't know it by looking outside. The world is all gray and green at present.

Today's goals:

Cooking: chicken nuggets with dipping sauces. If it clears up, and the ground beef is fully thawed, I may grill hamburgers. 

School: the usual

Writing: Rewriting/Revising two chapters in two novels, Beta read, personal reading, character work

Extra: art, some work stuff

• Like 1

Morning!  Children are beginning to fray here; elder designed a complex war game, and spent his free time over several days building pieces, but the end stages of the actual play with his brother became stressful.  Not surprising; but I'd planned to allow extra time for the game today while I did other stuff.  If they do play again I'll need to actively help them come up with cooperative goals. 

Home management: begin working through home cleaning and finance e-books I have; plan tomorrow's school work; work on memory binders and on Anki.  

House: cleaning cycles, garden work: it's raining here, so this will be planning stuff the boys want to tackle: supply lists, what goes where, list of hedge plants. 

Exercise: boys, me. 

School: math, languages, reading & writing & piano: goal to do math, lang. and writing before lunch.

Food: souffles or bust tonight!  Elder needs to make muffins before lunch.  Make a dessert to have tonight. 

• Like 1

Morning!  I hope y'all are well.  I need to break my day into bits. 

• Before 9AM / school start: check yesterday's work from boys; draft a morning school plan that includes some art, music, Shakespeare & poetry (we're going for the goodies here); bit of yoga; and work on anything left from yesterday I can. 
    • Morning school plan: Shakespeare, drawing then snackPoetry writing, poetry reading, outside, history of classical music, art project. 
  • Before lunch: drink lot of water, round of cleaning, find poetry book + book for lunch reading. 
  • At lunch: read some poetry, other book
  • After lunch: Latin, Greek, memory work, writing work
  • After school: few minutes chores, garden work, FlyLady chores for me + boys, exercise for boys, exercise for me, piano
  • Evening / after dinner: prep school for tomorrow or at least have rough plan (in AM need to do memory work with elder, oral Greek & Latin with younger); shower, baths for everyone; set alarm clock; email (write to R, D).
  • tomorrow: focus on piano, sit with boys for some work & get to theory; AM art projects, memory work with elder, oral Greek & Latin with younger, history,  math, languages incl. French, writing.  Look at art before/during lunch.  Me: type & print WTM-based history checklists, work on memory binder. 

• Like 1

Morning! Today is the get-out-of-the-house-day. We've got an outing to a remote lake planned so we don't see any people but still get some sunshine and water.

Today's tasks:

School: None

Cooking: None

Writing: revising two chapters, a Beta read, character work, personal reading, critique for a friend.

Art: Keep working on my tree painting, landscape sketching and photos at the lake today for practice.

• Like 1

We made it through our first full day of WTM school in a year.  Or more.  !!!!!

This morning, when I woke up, I was so depressed by everything I could hardly move.  I decided to bribe the children with some extra money to spend on their e-games (it went to Minecraft coins, as it happens) so that they wouldn't wilt of despair when I announced that we'd be working through the Thursday WTM schedules right from the book.  Just because I needed them to do school but had exactly no imagination or creativity to wing it.  We made minimal adjustments to the schedules and, at the other side of the day, the house is a mess & the school is done & I feel a bit better. 

Same thing tomorrow, minus the money for games. 

It is so helpful -- such a relief -- to realize that a year ago, or 3 months ago even, we couldn't have done this b/c of elder's illness.  So some things are brighter than they were.  🙂 

Off to: exercise myself; then exercise boys; assign remaining piano; make pasta with cheese sauce + greens for dinner (barring disaster -- if necessary I can thaw pork chops instead); prep for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Man, I got sunburned so badly yesterday! I am chicken-fried, I swear. I'd forgotten that just because it's nice and warm doesn't mean the trees will actually have leaves! 

Today's goals:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, kitchen, plant the lemon trees that arrived day before yesterday

School: the usual. Will work on schedules tomorrow after work.

Cooking: grill hamburgers

Writing: Beta sheet for the read I finished yesterday, personal reading, revise two chapters in two different novels, character work

Art: continue to work on my tree painting. I'd like to finish it by this evening if I can.

• Like 1

@Critterfixer: 😞 for sunburn (so sorry you got burned, though I'm really glad that y'all got out and about); 🙂 for lemon trees!  

Today: Catching up, setting up for next week, incorporating some planning and prep.  Not over-scheduling my day. 

School: piano lesson, WTM schedule as possible with memory work, ideally some drawing.   House: hit some chores, get outside, pork chops for dinner (need to thaw), work on windows, get to laundry, plan meals.  Sketch out school for next week.  Read today: couple of articles, read in one of the books on my shelf.  Pray & work. 

ETA: to do for planning.  This'll take me weeks, I bet. 

• line up boys' subjects where possible: elder Latin / younger Latin + ; science, history at same time
    • try week-long blocks of science & history (?)
  • edit history cards with sentences from SotW Activity Book
  • find Leonardo da Vinci biography
  • look for more greatest inventors & scientists by Venezia
  • step up music theory work for younger
  • re-work the WTM schedules to include more art.  Sub art/music into word study for elder.  What to do for younger?
  • get art paper out where it can be found; discover some sort of workable organizing principle for it. 
  • remember that the children will not actually die of being educated 😉 , no matter how much they wilt in the process
  • I need a clean house for my sanity.  How to keep things neat & calm in the middle of a Real School Day, which is packed and involves making lunch???

• Like 1

Morning.  Today: plan meals for week, disinfect stuff that comes into house, 'fridge cleaned & groceries away, do rounds of cleaning house (living room, kitchen, school stuff, food storage, garden, bedrooms), exercise, plan week (rpg, school, home management, social stuff), have some fun (exit game, other?), read some stuff (article or two, some book), jury-rig a desk for myself.

• Like 1