Menu

Travel Insurance Claim advice needed

DoraBora

My family had planned to visit NYC in May.  We purchased our tickets (on American Airlines) some time ago, and dh bought travel insurance.  Has anyone had recent success with filing travel insurance claims?  Or any experience at all?

Dh called American, and they said we can use the tickets to go anywhere else (domestically, maybe?  He didn't ask.) as long as we use them this year.  After 2020, we would have to pay change fees.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

What I am reading about filing a Claim  on "Travel Insurance" if one wants to cancel a trip, because they are concerned or afraid, is that the Travel Insurance company will deny the claim.

Probably better to deal with American Airlines. They are not in good shape financially, but hopefully won't go into bankruptcy soon.

At this time, I believe the major U.S. air carriers in the best financial positions are SPIRIT AIRLINES and possibly also SOUTHWEST AIRLINES. 

My impression, from what I am reading about "Travel Insurance" in the Google Feed on my phone the past few days is that it probably is not a good way to spend money. (I worked for airlines for 5 years when I was young and then I worked for a Travel Agency for one year so I have an almost lifelong interest in the airline business).

Note: I suspect things in NYC might be more interesting for Tourists in May 2020 than they are now (March 2020) and I would wait until 30 days before departure, before making a final decision about whether or not to postpone that trip.

Edited by Lanny
correct typo

47 minutes ago, Lanny said:

What I am reading about filing a Claim  on "Travel Insurance" if one wants to cancel a trip, because they are concerned or afraid, is that the Travel Insurance company will deny the claim.

Probably better to deal with American Airlines. They are not in good shape financially, but hopefully won't go into bankruptcy soon.

At this time, I believe the major U.S. air carriers in the best financial positions are SPIRIT AIRLINES and possibly also SOUTHWEST AIRLINES. 

My impression, from what I am reading about "Travel Insurance" in the Google Feed on my phone the past few days is that it probably is not a good way to spend money. (I worked for airlines for 5 years when I was young and then I worked for a Travel Agency for one year so I have an almost lifelong interest in the airline business).

Note: I suspect things in NYC might be more interesting for Tourists in May 2020 than they are now (March 2020) and I would wait until 30 days before departure, before making a final decision about whether or not to postpone that trip.

That's kind of what I thought, regarding the travel insurance.   Dh has already spoken to American, and that no-fee change through Dec. 31 was all they offered.

I hope you are right, for the people who live there, that the situation will improve by May.  (I feel selfish for even asking about stuff like this.)

Thank you for the reply.

DH is wondering if we can cancel our travel insurance (first time we’ve ever bought it!) for our upcoming international trip that we can’t go on. We won’t be using it for any of our cancellations, so it would be for services not rendered, essentially.