Menu

Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach -- reviews?

20 minutes ago, TarynB said:

We tried it as a summer review/bridge curriculum. The first edition was full of mistakes. It was really frustrating. I don't know if there's a second edition out yet, but I'd recommend to avoid the first edition if you can.

Was that the 2016 edition or earlier? 

If you email the author, she'll send you the errata she knows about.

We are using it as a supplement. My son is not wordy, and it's a wordy curriculum, but it helps me (or his tutor) talk through common mistakes and things like that. I think the author was a tutor, and it shows in how she presents things. Our tutor seems to like the presentation and the selection of problems. I don't know if she's noticed a lot of mistakes or not. I found a few when I was using it with my son pre-tutor, but we kind of found them together and didn't find them to be a big deal. My son cannot learn algebra solo, so I don't know how it would be for a standalone curriculum that a student is doing primarily alone.

I did find that this book helped me figure out how to ask questions about things I didn't have words for. I didn't get a lot of math language with my high school math experience, and I also tend to get hung up on things that don't seem to bother others--this curriculum filled some holes for me while giving me the words to ask additional questions.

I think it's good for people who like verbal explanations and not just proofs with some words here and there.

My son loves that he can write in the book. That was a big deal to him. 

• 2 years later...

I am interested in this curriculum, but it appears that Christy Walters is no longer reachable.  No website, her email no longer works.  Does anybody know if she is no longer supporting her curriculum? It is still sold new on Rainbow Resources.