Menu

Spelling mix ups between languages

lulalu

How long did your kids mix up spelling between languages? Like writting ch instead of ç. Ds is 7 yo, and reading well in both languages. 

Anything to help guide? We have been using Dictation Day by Day for English spelling along with Rod and Staff. And his English spelling has improved a lot this year. 

We have been using dictation in his second language and reading a lot of simple readers. But he crosses over spelling rules. 

As someone who wasted an inordinate amount of my and my7yo  childs time trying to teach spelling too early, I would let cross-lingual patterns slide so long as it made sense phonetically.

If x-langauge is highly phonetic and regular, then between Rod and Staff levels, I might teach and drill the 50 most common words with him. But I wouldn't blend the two languages. When he finished RS Spelling 3, I'd take a few weeks to teach and drill the 50 most common words in x-language with him, then move right back to RS Spelling 4, etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gil said:

As someone who wasted an inordinate amount of my and my7yo  childs time trying to teach spelling too early, I would let cross-lingual patterns slide so long as it made sense phonetically.

If x-langauge is highly phonetic and regular, then between Rod and Staff levels, I might teach and drill the 50 most common words with him. But I wouldn't blend the two languages. When he finished RS Spelling 3, I'd take a few weeks to teach and drill the 50 most common words in x-language with him, then move right back to RS Spelling 4, etc.

This is similar to how I am doing it. Both of my girls are dyslexic, so they needed teaching (ours are Spanish and English), but I stopped doing it at the same time with my oldest when she was about 8 (she's now 20). Misspellings are common and expected, as similar sounds are spelled in different ways. Just as our brains sometimes reach for the nearest word, regardless of language, to express ourselves, it can happen with spelling. At least, it did for my kids.

• Like 2

Yes his second language is very phonetic. And easy in contrast to English. We put him part time in a local school for the rest of this year to get some more language time. I have dropped our homeschooling for this first month of adjustment. But he keeps writing with English spellings at school. The teacher has been understanding. But this is the teacher's first time having a student who is not a native speaker. 

Normal, and like all spelling issues, it will improve with time.  

I only teach spelling in one language, the language of the country we live in.  I let their English spelling just... do its own thing.  It has improved on its own without any effort on my part.  I think this is partially due to them being avid readers, and partially due to many English and French words sharing similar roots.  We study French spelling almost exclusively through dictation and grammar exercises.  I don't do lists.  For my younger kids, the week of dictations is based on a particular pattern, and that seems to be working well for them.  For example, we'd do a full week of spelling dictations focused around words with a "gn" spelling.    

• Like 1