Menu

Book ideas for HS Book Report

Can you point me towards a book list, on this board or elsewhere, or throw out some ideas of books for a high school book report? It must be 200 pages, fiction, and something DS hasn’t read before. The book report is the usual: “ For this assignment, you are required to provide a character analysis of the main character in your book OR an analysis of the symbolism in your book OR how the author uses setting to create tone and mood OR how the author establishes a particular theme in the book.”

I’ve sent him the usual lists that include Fahrenheit 451, for example, which is what he chose. Not a copy available in any format except Spanish in the whole city! 

He is a voracious reader, but not an experienced writer, so I’d love to find something that interests him, but is also obvious to write about one of the topics.

I’ve been reading some interesting books, but no sooner do I recommend them, and I turn the page to a sex scene! 

Quick correction -- the assignment is asking for a literary analysis essay, not a book report. 😉 

[A book report is an elementary-grade level assignment that is a summary of plot with possible opinion of what you liked/disliked about the book. A literary analysis essay is higher-level thinking/academic writing done in high school/college, in which you analyze (carefully examine and evaluate) one or more aspects of the work, usually literary elements, and support with specific examples from the book, as well as with commentary that explains how/why the examples support your analysis.]

If he'd still like to do Fahrenheit 451, here are links to a free read-online copy of the text: 
ESL Bits (both the text on the screen and an audio reader; you can mute the sound and just read the text)
- DRVHS website: pdf

- FSUSD website: pdf

ETA -- PS -- Since DS is not experienced with writing, here's a quick outline of what needs to go into an analysis essay:

I. INTRO
- "hook" to catch the reader's attention
- possible sentence(s) of additional background/explanation/definition of 
- "intro info" -- name of the book and author
- very brief story summary (1 sentence) -- broad overview of the book to give context to the direction of the essay
- thesis statement (which has 3 parts: 1.) topic of the paper 2.) "claim" -- your thought or opinion or "take" or position on the topic 3.) direction (the main points of the essay that will be used to build an argument of support for the the thesis claim)

II. BODY PARAGRAPHS -- each body paragraph includes:
- transition
- topic sentence -- what point (from the thesis direction) will be discussed in the paragraph
- any needed sentences of detail/explanation
- specific examples from the book that show the point discussed in the paragraph
- for each example, a sentence of commentary explaining how/why that example supports the point of the paragraph ("This shows that...")
- at the end of the paragraph, a sentence of concluding commentary that explains how/why the point 
supports the thesis claim

III CONCLUSION
- transition
- broad overview/wrap-up of the thesis claim and argument of the essay (the body paragraphs) -- don't just restate in slightly different words, but wrap-up in light of the argument presented in the body
- "clincher" -- final thought that takes the essay to conclusion -- often ties back in with the hook or the title of the essay

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Well, you've peaked my interest. <insert 'I'm all ears' emoji>  May I ask which book he chose?

Lol! Well, I after posting here, I gave my head a shake and went to my usual first stop for book lists, Sonlight. And just kept searching and hitting that Hold button for the library! 

He has, for now, chosen “One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovith” although it is 182 pages and the teacher has stated a 200 page minimum. So he has to talk to him about that. I still have more books coming!

• Like 1

That sound super interesting!  Hope the teacher gives him a pass.

Ruminating now, speaking of Russian lit., I read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment in high school.  Some of the guys thought it was awesome, but I thought it was one of the most depressing things ever--murder and the mental anguish that comes with it...  Wonder what I'd think now...

And another, speaking of depressing, interesting, and Russian, I read a short story, Ward No. 6 by Anton Checkhov, a few years back that I really enjoyed while most others didn't.  In its depression, it made me chuckle about how we are all one step away from Ward No. 6, either true insanity or what others perceive as insanity...good times! <insert the old running crazy emoji>  Very thought provoking.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

That sound super interesting!  Hope the teacher gives him a pass.

Ruminating now, speaking of Russian lit., I read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment in high school.  Some of the guys thought it was awesome, but I thought it was one of the most depressing things ever--murder and the mental anguish that comes with it...  Wonder what I'd think now...

And another, speaking of depressing, interesting, and Russian, I read a short story, Ward No. 6 by Anton Checkhov, a few years back that I really enjoyed while most others didn't.  In its depression, it made me chuckle about how we are all one step away from Ward No. 6, either true insanity or what others perceive as insanity...good times! <insert the old running crazy emoji>  Very thought provoking.

Interesting ideas! I wish the teacher had provided a sample list,  just to know what he’s looking for. I’m working to bet he didn’t because it’s about the essay, not the book, but the are so many books out there! And this is a kid who has already read so much, it would be easier to analyze one he’s read, even if only once, to know if he likes it!

• Like 1