Menu

Anyone a practiced dyer?? Dyeing white jean jacket

Trilliumlady

Hey all,

So I got a white denim jacket from StitchFix a couple years ago that I have worn maybe once or twice.  I’m just not a fan of the stark whiteness of it.  I’m learning ivory/pearly/soft white is a better color for me.  I’m tossing around the idea of dyeing it but haven’t done anything of this sort since weeks at camp years and years ago and am hesitant to say the least.  

What would I need to know to do this?  Best dye?  Best method?  Best color to shoot for?  I’d imagine maybe doing a sage green or an off white since I think trying to go blue and getting just a plain blue color without any texture to the color/stone wash look to it might look a bit strange.  I’d love any and all advice on how to go about doing this!

For reference, it’s a Liverpool brand jacket with silver buttons and is 53% cotton, 32% lyocell, 8% polyester and 2% spandex.  I’d love to put this thing to use since it had quite a cost in the StitchFix box and I just haven’t quite known how to wear it.  Or, if the Hive overrules me and says I should keep it white and suck it up and figure out how to wear it I’m up for encouragement there as well!  It’s just sitting here looking at me.....

Okay, I'm not what if call an experienced dyer, but I'll give you what I've got. When I've dy ed denim, the big surprise that the stitching did not take due like the rest of the garment, and on a white jacket, if the stitching is white it will show up glowing white in contrast to whatever color you use. Or there is a pretty good chance it will  also not sure how a cotton blend denim would take dye. But there are dyed that are meant for different fibers. I just always used RIT that worked next on cotton.

Not an experienced dye person but I do know that with natural tea and vegetable dyes,  there are sometimes color consistency issues.  There are probably tutorials on line that address this, but the items I have seen that have been dyed with natural dyes, usually have some dark splatters where the dye took more in one area that others. We used to dye lace for curtains in the 80s for my mom's historic house. Sometimes variation can be totally fine (like with historic curtains)!  Other times, it would just make something look dirty and dingy (like my sisters skirt she tried dying the same way).

Edited by Tap

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, it’s the easiest way to do it.  But like I said, not too much tea in the bath and plenty of space.  

So, ArcticMama, would you describe your results more like ivory or more like a darker beige/light camel/etc?  Oyster in my mind is more ivory, yes?  Again, I know it’s totally dependent on cloth, just curious.