Menu

Alzheimer's/Dementia support discussion board?

skimomma

Anyone know of an active discussion board for family and caregivers of people with Alzheimer's or dementia?  I have Googled but the few I have found are not very active and/or are hard to navigate.  In my perfect world, there would be one like this board.  I live in a geographically isolated area and we have no live support groups here.  I am the primary support person for a family member with dementia and could really use some real-time BTDT advice on so many things.

1 hour ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

I don't know what you consider "active" but there's a Reddit forum for dementia. If you post questions people will probably be happy to answer. And there is a lot of venting on there as well, as I'm sure caregivers need to do that in a safe space. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/dementia/

Thanks!  I did not even think of Reddit. That is far better than anything else I have come across.  There does not seem to be a lot of responses but I already can see past posts that are helpful to me.

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

If you don’t have a copy of The 36 Hour Day, order one. I know it’s not the one thing as community, but it’s a great reference. 

I hope you find a good discussion board! You can try the Alzheimer’s Association site. I found info there but not an active forum like this. 

Were you the one who recommended this in another thread?  If so, on your recommendation, I ordered it (and got it here all the way over to Montenegro).  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

If you don’t have a copy of The 36 Hour Day, order one. I know it’s not the one thing as community, but it’s a great reference. 

I hope you find a good discussion board! You can try the Alzheimer’s Association site. I found info there but not an active forum like this. 

I do have this and have read through it twice now.  I think you may have suggested it in one of my other posts some time ago.  Honestly, it scares the crap out of me.  This whole situation has made my life into an anxiety nightmare so it is easy to push me over the edge these days.  I do think it is a good reference but not something I can handle on most days right now.  I am trying to tackle one thing at a time so knowing about or thinking about all the possible things that are coming is just too overwhelming right now.  Not very mature of me but it is what it is.

I found the same on the Alzheimer's Association site....not much activity.  But for sure some good info.

Dale Bredesen, Michael Hamblin, and the Vie Light devices could be worth researching if you haven’t already. The different Vie Light devices are being used in clinical trials now and are showing some good results. You might be able to find a forum, maybe on a Reddit, where people have some btdt advice. I hope you can find something helpful.

• Like 1