Menu

Story of the World - 2 Volumes in one year?

Bay Lake Mom

I would like to do a 2 year overview of World History with my kids.  I have a 12 yo and 10 yo.  My 10 yo is working on a 2nd grade level due to many LD's.  I am thinking of using SOTW Volumes 1 and 2 for the first year, then Volumes 3 and 4 for the next year.  I like the idea of SOTW because it can be as simple as it needs to be for my 10 yo, but I can add literature, encyclopedia research, note taking, outlines,... for my 12 yo.  I've also considered using History Odyssey for extension ideas.  Am I crazy to think we can fit 2 volumes in each year? 

The reason for the 2 year overview of World History -- We are currently studying Modern History with SCM.  It is going well, but I don't want to continue with SCM for History.  My 12 yo will be 7th grade and 8th grade over the next 2 years.  I would like her to have a thorough overview before beginning high school.

Help me to determine if this is a good idea or if I'm setting us up for failure and why. 

3 hours ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

Thank you all so much for your responses. I am thinking 3 chapters a week. I like the idea of looking at the Sonlight cores for literature ideas!

I would base it off sections, not chapters.    Count out the sections in each chapter and do a certain number of sections a day.   That keeps kids from being overwhelmed if you hit 3 long chapters in a row.

• Like 1

Athena's Academy does one book per semester, and divided by sections/topics, so it can be done. They do recommend a higher reading level than some recommendations 🙂

• Like 1