Menu

New measles exposure

bethben

I used to be anti-vax until we adopted our daughter from China and didn’t know what she would be bringing home with her.  My kids are now fully vaccinated.  Now, with stories like this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/measles-outbreak-update-health-officials-exposure-lax-denver-airport-1477592%3famp=1  I’m glad we did. Basically kids with undiagnosed measles get measles from a country they visited that was having an outbreak, get on a plane (or two or more?) , go through an airport, and wind up getting treated at a children’s hospital in the area.  They had the potential to expose hundreds of people to the measles.  When I was anti-vax 20 years ago,  measles was one of those diseases that happened in other countries—no need to worry about outbreaks here.  I have obviously changed directions.  

• Like 1

Further information—the children were not vaccinated.  They came from New Zealand through LAX and into Denver.  Two large airports, three sets of planes, and a children’s hospital have had to inform people of what to look for.  Measles is an airborne (droplet) spreading disease.  It gets in the ventilation system and sticks around for a while.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, bethben said:

Further information—the children were not vaccinated.  They came from New Zealand through LAX and into Denver.  Two large airports, three sets of planes, and a children’s hospital have had to inform people of what to look for.  Measles is an airborne (droplet) spreading disease.  It gets in the ventilation system and sticks around for a while.

Yeah, living in the Orlando area, which is an international tourist destination, I'm way more cognizant of these kinds of things than if say, I lived in rural Iowa or something. 

• Like 1