Menu

XP- Jacob's algebra (and separate pre-algebra) questions

1. We have an old set of Jacob's Algebra & TG. If we use these, can we use the Dr. Callahan videos with them? Or do you have to have the new Masterbooks set for the videos to line up and make sense?
  2. What would be a good program to use between Singapore and Jacob's Algebra?

We own College of The Redwoods, Lial, Math Mammoth 7, Mathematics, A Human Endeavor, and Prentice Hall. 

I do not really love any of them, for various reasons. Math Mammoth seems like it would be the best choice, and I really admire that company, but for some reason every time we sit down and look at it, we all feel deflated.

What about AOPS pre-A? I've read that it is kind of separate from the rest of the AOPS high school math series since it was written afterward, and that makes me think it might be an ideal choice for a one-off year of math using the AOPS approach, between different sequences. Singapore elementary and Jacob's high school in this case. What do you think of that sequence? The kids are willing and able. I like having videos we can consult if needed, but that we don't have to watch to do the day's work. If we used it and it was a smashing success, I wouldn't mind continuing with AOPS, but right now I am interested in how it might work if it precedes Jacobs. 

We also might just use Derek Owens. 

Saxon, CLE, TT, MUS, Videotext, Thinkwell, and BJU are not options. But if there's anything else you think might be worth looking into I am all ears. 

Edited by Quercus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I have recently done a lot of research on Jacobs Algebra with the Callahan dvds.  Dr Callahan has a youtube video about all the resources, since there has been confusion over new and old texts.  There is only 1 edition of Elementary Algebra, so every book is essentially the same.  I think that the new Masterbook text has a few cultural changes (like, omitting a comic strip with someone smoking) but all the resources line up.  I purchased an old print of the tm and text and it aligns with Callahan's dvds, solutions manual, and tests.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son started Jacobs this Fall, coming from Beast Academy.  He started AOPS Pre Al but quickly decided he was burnt out on the depth that the Beast/AOPS books provide.  He wanted a more get er done approach.

We are only a few months in but so far, so good.  It has a very gentle beginning that honestly has worked as a Pre-Al.  I do have some "key to" books in my back pocket if we need them later.

So depending on how far in Singapore you got, you may be able to just jump in.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1