Menu

Anyone else heading for the Oireachtas in December?

My dancer "retired" this summer.

I am sad about it, but we had spent over $3000/yr on her dance activities for the previous 3 years...so it is nice not to have that budget item anymore. Right now she is just taking a ballet class 2x/week at the local community college. It was *free* since she is dual-enrolled, yippee!

Good luck to all of you who haven't already danced. Congrats to those who recalled!

I'm a dad, not a mom, but I run a homeschooling business and lurk here pretty often.

We got back from Orlando late last night. I have four daughters--two of them dancers.

Both of my girls finished 4th! I've got a U14 and a U9. They worked really hard to prepare, but both did better than we could have imagined. We are very proud of them.

I think the top 12 were world qualifiers. We are very excited to do that this year, and I'm particularly excited that it's NOT in Europe and therefore IN the budget!

She was 64th two years ago (just squeaked into the recall), and 16th last year (missed worlds by 2).

Wow, that is really great! We just got back on Sunday night, late. Since we are homeschooling, we decided to take the week in Florida for a much needed family vacation. We had a blast at the O and then had a wonderful time at Disney and Universal.

Our family only went for the dance drama. We were the one's wearing the "you are cordially invited to attend Paddy Reilly's wedding" shirts. Our ds is a senior in high school and came into Irish Dancing rather late in life. So we only participated as part of the dance drama team. DS just started dance as a freshman and has not been interested in feising...so when his teacher invited him to be part of the drama team, he was thrilled to have a chance to go.

We are really excited for our school, Teelin, we had a few dancers qualify for worlds and since it is in Philly this year, more are likely to participate. We hope to go and cheer them on since it is only 1.5 hours by train from Baltimore.

Perhaps we will have a chance to see your girls dance!

Congrats again!!!

I popped in here to check out math curriculum, not expecting to see an Irish dance post! Congrats to everyone who attended, danced, recalled and/or qualified for Worlds. How exciting. I didn't realize they went on so late in the year. I feel like such a newbie with all that and now homeschooing.

We're in the Western Region and our Oireachtas was in November. Our first one and my daughter qualified for Nationals as a Prizewinner. She's U10 and this was to gain experience. Even her teacher told her not to expect to recall, but she ended up in the top 20. We were surprised, but thrilled especially since it was her first time ever dancing a set dance outside of the dance studio.

I popped in here to check out math curriculum, not expecting to see an Irish dance post! Congrats to everyone who attended, danced, recalled and/or qualified for Worlds. How exciting. I didn't realize they went on so late in the year. I feel like such a newbie with all that and now homeschooing.

We're in the Western Region and our Oireachtas was in November. Our first one and my daughter qualified for Nationals as a Prizewinner. She's U10 and this was to gain experience. Even her teacher told her not to expect to recall, but she ended up in the top 20. We were surprised, but thrilled especially since it was her first time ever dancing a set dance outside of the dance studio.

Congratulations! Will you be going to Nationals? We went last year (younger dd's ceili team), and I think it's at the same place this year -- Gaylord Opryland in Tennessee. I'm not sure if her team will be going this year -- I'm sort of vague on what it takes for a ceili to qualify, and last year they were 1st place so it was pretty obvious. Sudden fantasies of a WTM forum meet up at Nationals are dancing through my head.

Also, Sharon, we love watching the dance dramas at Oireachtas and Nationals. Our school doesn't do dramas, but they look so fun. Hmm, I just realized that they usually compete late in the day -- so you didn't have to get there at 6am to start getting ready -- you really missed out on some of the true experience, which is the sleep deprivation.

Congratulations! Will you be going to Nationals? We went last year (younger dd's ceili team), and I think it's at the same place this year -- Gaylord Opryland in Tennessee. I'm not sure if her team will be going this year -- I'm sort of vague on what it takes for a ceili to qualify, and last year they were 1st place so it was pretty obvious. Sudden fantasies of a WTM forum meet up at Nationals are dancing through my head.

Thanks! I'm not sure yet about Nationals. We need to see where things are with the economy. I'd really like to make it if at all possible since she worked so hard to prepare for the Oireachtas. And we've never been to Opryland!