Menu

Anyone using TT with younger elementary kids that has any input?

StaceyinLA

I'm thinking of using this with dgs, but after discussion in my other thread, I'm torn.

If you're using this with a younger child, when did you switch to it? How involved are you in it? Do you like the program? Overall, how do you feel it is working for your child?

I switched to it when three of my boys were in 3rd, 5th and 7th grade. We've used every level except Geometry and Pre-Calc. However, I don't use the online/computer portion. I just use the books (until high school). They read the lesson (or I go over it with them) and they do all the work on paper. I can be as involved as they need me to be. I love TT and it is my favourite of all the math programs I've tried. My kids really need to constantly review things, otherwise they forget them all, so it's been perfect. I don't mind that it is a little behind. IMO, it catches up at the pre-algebra level. I use it all the way through Algebra 1 and 2 (we use something else for geometry) and if anyone ever needs pre-calc, we'll do that with TT as well.

I understand being torn about it, because there are very mixed reviews, especially on this board, but for my family it has been a great fit.

We have used it twice. Once starting with Algebra, then Geometry. Loved it for Algebra, did not love for Geometry - it was a bit hard to use the computer self grading part for proofs. I did find out that if a kid only does 3 of the assigned 30 problems, and gets them all right, the grade book says 100 %. Yeah.....so you have to make sure they actually do all the work, lol. Most kid are less sneaky than mine though. 

Then we tried it this year for my 3rd grader, and it seemed to be going fine. She wasn't complaining much, etc. She liked the way they do fact practice (for a bonus, rather than graded). But then I got the curriculum switch itch...my son was doing The Good and The Beautiful for math and i wanted something more like that for her. I didn't like how uninvolved I was in her math - it was too easy to send her into the other room to do it while I worked with the other kids and not check up on her. So we switched to Math Lessons for A Living Education and she REALLY struggled at first. I was worried MLFLE was going to be behind...no. I even asked her if she wanted to go back to Teaching Textbooks, as I didn't want her frustrated about math and she said no, she felt she was learning more in MLFLE and wanted to stick with it. That she didn't want to give up. 

So...take that for what it is worth. I also think she liked me working with her with MLFLE vs on her own with TT. On the flip side my older one preferred working on his own. 

I think TT is a fine program and LOVE all the review in it. It was a good fit for the older one. But for now it wasn't the right fit for DD. 

Oh, and I don't think the word problems, etc are going to be strong, nor the conceptual understanding. My older didn't give a crud about conceptual understanding - he pretty much understood on his own anyway and just needed to get r' done or he was going to revolt. DD needs the extra focus with manipulative, etc. 

And not that you asked about this, but we are also doing and loving Multiplication Facts that Stick from the well trained mind store - as a supplement and it is fantastic - good balance of conceptual understanding and fact practice. And rather than a ton of flashcards the fact practice is accomplished via games. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1