Menu

Latin for Children and Lively Latin

Kathryn

I know there have been many threads on this very topic, but I can’t find any since LfC was updated in 2017. I was hoping to hear from people who have used both or at least the latest version of Latin for Children. My oldest used Lively Latin 1 in 5th and LL2 in 6th-7th. He liked it okay, but he had a difficult time with LL2 (and I must admit that I didn’t go through it with him and I don’t have experience with Latin past Song School Latin 2). I chose Lively Latin because I’d heard that LfC was a big jump back then.

My middle will be in 5th next year and I’m wondering if I should consider LfC again since we love CAP products in general. He’s done Minimus, Song School Latin 1-2, and is doing Getting Started With Latin this year. In general, he loves languages (he’s also doing Greek this year just because he wanted to). 

So, if you’ve used the 2017 revised version of Latin for Children, could you tell me your thoughts on it? And has anyone used both?

We are using LFC A, after coming from a year with GSWL and then following that with First Form - and the only reason we didn't continue the forms was because it was sucking the joy out of the subject for him.

I find LFC to be...........haphazard almost.  It's not as clear cut as the other two programs.  There are errors, like having 'magnus' still as a vocab entry in lesson 7(?) when it's not introduced until 11.  It doesn't feel like it has a clean path.  My kid likes the variety of activity, but not the dvd or chants.  I'm not sure I like how it progresses compared to the other two programs.  The pace is gentle enough.  It has activities.  I just can't put my finger on it.  Even though FFL got tiring toward the end, it taught well and we both really enjoyed the grammar reinforcement & translation.  LFC doesn't seem to be intentional enough in its goals or using previous lessons to build upon in future lessons.

• Like 1

Yeah, we're doing LFCA with dd11 right now after GSWL. She's enjoying it well enough but so far it just feels like random pure memorization. I'm hoping it gets a bit more systematic as time goes on. She's on chapter 10.

She actually likes the DVD and chants (we use the online version). She's getting the vocab down pat. We'll keep it going but I'm actually thinking about just skipping to something meatier after she's done with LFCA rather than doing the next level, unless something changes. I'm sure the strong vocab background will help at least. 

• Like 1

I used Lively Latin with my older two, and I felt like level 2 was a reasonable step up from 1. However I, myself, had slacked off by 2 so I had a harder time assisting, and the vocabulary is cumulative so there is more to remember. This time through with younger dd I am making sure to continue practicing vocabulary and continue doing some of the written work. We are also making it a priority so that it doesn't drag on into next year - another lesson learned!

• Like 1