Menu

Tips on training a puppy please!

ksr5377

Thought I would ask if anyone has any recommendations on house training a new puppy.  DH and I have agreed to get a puppy after thinking about it for a few years, it's not a spur of the moment decision.  Between us we have adopted 5 adults, house training 3 of them, but never a puppy!  What am I getting myself into?

If it matters, it will be a male med-large mixed breed.  Parents appear to be Yellow Lab/Golden Retriever and Treeing Walker Coon Hound/Bull Terrier/Pit Bull?  

Any other tips for the puppy stage are welcome!

Puppies are easier than adults, so you're golden!

The only thing that's trickier is that their bladders are small, so when they're really young, they physically can't hold it as long. 

I'd definitely find yourself a puppy training book (using positive, gentle reinforcing, never punishment) and follow it. There are lots of ways to skin a cat. . .

• Like 1

zac George's youtube channel.  dd's breeder likes Ian Dunbar.

take the puppy out, on a leash, every hour.  stand there (where you want him to learn to relieve himself) until he "does his business" - and praise him.  the hardest part is getting them to "tell" you.   

puppy does not get free run of the house until fully house trained.  have a crate/pen for when you can't watch him.  dogs are den animals, they like their 'dens' - don't make it a punishment.  puppy's get tired and want to 'check out' from a busy family time too.

use "nature's miracle" (it deodorizes it so it's not attractive to the puppy) when you clean up a mess - and don't let the puppy see you cleaning up the mess.  

I still have all my puppy stuff from 1dd's puppy (I took him during the day while she was at work.)  she's getting a full-blood sibling puppy at Christmas. (this breeder very rarely breeds the same pair twice.)

spycar recently posted a *really good* video on puppy biting - I thought I saved it, but I can't find it.  (spycar shared the guy's technique, starts on pg. 11).  puppy biting is to teach them about pressure, and what is appropriate - you want them to learn what is and isn't too hard.  there's a window until 11wks? - and when it's closed, it's much harder.

socialize, new experiences every day

• Like 2

"New puppy we are considering"  -- a huge recent thread on picking a puppy/breeder, food, house breaking, training, etc.

We do puppy sitting for the local puppy raising group for Guide Dogs for the Blind. They completely use positive reinforcement training methods. You can see their puppy raising manual here and videos here.The technique for house training is to:

1. crate train the puppy right from the start
That way, puppy sleeps in the crate at night, and, not wanting to soil it's sleeping place, will whimper, and you immediately pick up the puppy, rush it outside to the relieving spot, and as the puppy relieves, say your relieving command (GDB has us say "do your business"), then mark the behavior with a "marker" word (GDB has us say "Nice!" in a bright chirpy manner) as a way to alert the puppy that it has done a good behavior to take note of, and treat the puppy (GDB has us use a piece of dry kibble) for obeying the command.

2. during the day, take the puppy outside every 30-45 minutes to relieve
That avoids accidents, and gives the puppy lots of opportunities to successfully create a connection between relieving outdoors, as well as with the relieving command. Take the puppy out on a leash, to keep puppy "confined" to the relieving spot so puppy doesn't get distracted and wander away. For the first weeks, wait for the puppy to relieve and as soon as it starts relieving, give the command (make the association). Then mark the behavior with a "marker" word (GDB has us say "Nice!" in a bright chirpy manner) as a way to alert the puppy that it has done a good behavior to take note of, and treat the puppy (GDB has us use a piece of dry kibble) for obeying the command. Over the weeks, as the puppy makes the association, move to giving the command first, and when puppy relieves, "mark" and treat. If the puppy doesn't need to relieve, then no "marking" and no treating -- just try again a little later.

ETA -- PS
Yes, as gardenmom5 says above -- puppy does not have free run of the house, eyes on puppy at all times, confine when you can't watch the puppy, and take the puppy out frequently to relieve. Also, be careful about how much water the puppy intakes at a time -- some puppies "tank" on water (slurp up a HUGE amount of water in one go), and then they have to pee every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours. sigh... If a puppy is "tanking", allow a moderate amount of water, then pick up the bowl. You can always offer water again in an hour, or give the puppy an ice cube to chew on, so no dehydrating. (But also no "tanking", followed by much peeing.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2