Menu

Has Logic of English not worked for anyone else?

Hi,
My seven and a half year old is currently using Logic of English C.  She went  through books A and B last year.  She remembers the phonograms and is reading decently from using it. But she's struggling with the spelling analysis portion. It doesn't seem like there is enough of the writing of the phonogram blends and words in general other than the five or six words in the spelling analysis and half of them aren't what the student learned that day. I am loving how it's helping her read but struggling to love the writing and spelling portion of it. Has anyone left using LOE for something else or any other advice? I learned how to read and write using a more traditional approach so maybe I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the OG teaching? 
Thanks

My child also made the leap to reading with LOE products, but the spelling didn't take. I don't know how much of that is him vs. anything about the curriculum.

ETA: You might get more replies to this if you can get a mod to move it to the main K-8 area for you.

Edited by whitehawk

That doesn't sound like much reinforcement. We used All About Spelling, which is also OG based, but the word lists always went with the new concept, and there were 10 main words plus reinforcement words for most lessons. Here's a review I did back when we first started. Hope you find something that's a good fit for you and your little one!

I used Logic of English with several of my kids. They all had a similar response and left reading but not spelling. At first I wondered if it was the program but TBH I've NEVER had a 7 yr old that can spell, no matter what approach was used- 6 kids later.  I've come to decide it's a maturity thing.

Some of my kids figured out spelling around 9, a few others in middle school.

• Like 1